INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buy Comuter

5 posters

Go down

Buy Comuter Empty Buy Comuter

Post by rafterbr Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:59 pm

My computer conked out and I need a new one right away. Where Lake side would I find one at a reasonable price? I can't wait for one to be shipped. Gracias

rafterbr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Buy Comuter Empty Re: Buy Comuter

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:06 pm

You can get a decent one at WalMart, but it will be in Spanish with a Spanish keyboard. I can do a complete reinstall in English, but can't do anything about the keyboard. WalMart Mexico also ships within maybe 3 or 4 days.

When you say reasonable price, depends what you are looking for. I build towers for $9,000 pesos (or thereabouts, depending on that day's rates and supplies from overseas. This gets you a fast computer that will last longer than most of us, with 4 Gigs of RAM and a very powerful AMD CPU and a TB hard drive. You would only need more if you are doing PhotoShop kind of stuff and wanted faster video and more RAM for speed for photo manipulation.

This does not include the monitor. I price those as people need them. Most people have a monitor from their previous PC. I can build one in a couple of days, but the timing is not the best because of the weekend.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by caligirl108 Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:42 pm

Check out a Chromebook - a friend of mine got one at Costco a few weeks ago for $300 usd. It has a Chrome OS, so no Microsoft OS to deal with. More selection at the Best Buy in Zapopan.

caligirl108
Share Holder
Share Holder

Plan B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:57 pm

I think, for many reasons, buying a Chromebook for anything but homework is a big mistake and a waste of money.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

DaveP, addtocart and nlu like this post

Riverman dislikes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Plan B Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:30 am

caligirl108 wrote:Check out a Chromebook - a friend of mine got one at Costco a few weeks ago for $300 usd.  It has a Chrome OS, so no Microsoft OS to deal with.  More selection at the Best Buy in Zapopan.  

i found Chrome OS so much faster than Windows, without the problems. Over a year later and no regrets; other than I should have done it sooner!
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Riverman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:52 pm

What does 'conked out" mean. No Bios loading? Hard disk crash? Commonly here is a power supply problem, especially if brought in from the U.S.. Different voltage here. Also an overloaded power source can cause problems.
I started using Linux Mint about 12 years ago. It is free, has every addon you could ever need. Now supported with many drivers as schools and businesses are dropping Windows. My first convert was a now retired professor of journalism at the University of Missouri. He had an old MacBook kicking around. He wiped it, installed Linux Mint, and was very impressed. It was much faster than the MacBook and more reliable. He went back to the University and made many more converts.
You can pick up an older tower or laptop for next to nothing because they have problems running Windows 10. Next year, starting with businesses, Microsoft will charge a monthly user fee per computer.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rafterbr Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:57 pm

Gracias. My laptop made a miraculous recovery so I will struggle along with it for a while. Maybe it will last until we get back to the states. I have now took care of my immediate concern and have a tablet for recreational uses so as of now I am fine. Thanks to everyone and to CG for his kind offer.

rafterbr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum