INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uber phone

+10
phxfunguy
DeborahE
Bill Phillips
Intercasa
solajijic
Trailrunner
Canada_Mike
CanuckBob
dcampbell757
char-ming
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Uber phone - Page 2 Empty Re: Uber phone

Post by CanuckBob Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:15 am

We used UBER all around Guadalajara last night. There was 7 of us so we used the"SUV" option. Never waited longer than 5 minutes or so and everyone was a late model Ford Explorer with professional drivers. I was kind of feeling sorry for the taxi guys cause when we left a restaurant or night club it was UBER after UBER pulling up to pick people up.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:21 am

Thank you to everyone that answered my question. That's why I like this board. Members of this board are willing to help others! Very Happy

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:26 am

I have 2 neighbors that drive for a living. One is a taxista whom I've been warning about Uber for over a year and telling him it's going to be the future and he better paint his taxi and join Uber. He smiles and goes grumble grumble.

Was talking to the second one last week and I asked him if he was driving for Uber or not yet and he said no that it wasnt here yet!

Sigh.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:36 am

I think UBER is a great idea and would like to be able to use it on the few occasions I'd need it: airport transport and such. One problem: first, I'd have to buy a Smartphone. Don't need one for any other reason. Don't like to talk on the phone in the first place, and my dumb phone on the cheapest Amigo plan lives in my car for emergencies. So, it's too bad it only works on Smartphones, or so I believe. If I'm wrong, please correct my error.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:03 pm

You mean your dumb phone lives in your car for car emergencies don't you?
Yeah, it has to be a smart phone because I don't think you can download apps to a dumb phone.
For emergencies, the smart phone is the way to go. All I have to do is say "Hey Siri, phone (name)" and it will connect and I can talk from across my house (because I've, say, fallen off a ladder and broken my hip) to the person called and get help.
Hopefully, your trusted emergency person has keys to your house.
Now, I have to admit that my iPhone 6plus is not the smartest of smart phones because the emergency dial won't work unless I have the charger connected. I believe that is not the case with newer models... nor do I know if Android smart phones have this capability or are, in fact, even smarter.
IF, you get a smart iPhone make sure you do several trial runs before you need it to work. That's how I found out that Siri is a sexist bitch because Dru is only recognized as Drew... and I now have to remember to ask Siri to call Drusilla and not Dru. Sexist and dumb do not belong in a smart phone. Rolling Eyes
Second reason to own one is so you can use it as a hotspot for your main computer when Telmex internet is out. Or simply answer e-mails etc. all by itself.
Third is its photographic capabilities and ease of sending the pics.
Fourth is for texting
Fifth is for its ability to use the uber app or WhatsApp (which most Doctors use)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Sixth is WAZE and is indispensable for driving anywhere in Mexico. Like a couple of weeks ago, two huge boulders, about the size of two small straight trucks coming down on the new cuota between Compostela and Jala, blocking the entire roadway. The machines and confusion had the cuota out of service for hours.  Or 5 or 6 accidents on the Chapala highway between Alamo and Dalilas last week slowing traffic to a "slow crawl", if and when it moved.

You are correct about what Doctors use (WhatsApp) as from personal experience of an emergency hemorrhaging situation in Chapala having photos sent immediately to Dr. in GDL and having surgeons and hospital standing by at the ready when patient arrived, knowing what to expect and what to do.  Time was at the essence.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:08 pm

I have too admit I feel a bit guilty. One driver has been taking me to and from the airport for years. But how can I keep doing that for P$600 when I can pay P$200??
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:35 pm

Well $600p was way too much anyhow.........

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:57 am

Thanks, Slainte, I downloaded WAZE, looks very useful! All the docs I know still use Telcel texting too.

So. If one were to have a cellphone, smart or dumb, and just keep it in the glove box for emergencies isn't it likely the battery will be dead or one would be out of credit when one needed it the most?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:16 am

Trailrunner wrote:Thanks, Slainte, I downloaded WAZE, looks very useful! All the docs I know still use Telcel texting too.

So. If one were to have a cellphone, smart or dumb, and just keep it in the glove box for emergencies isn't it likely the battery will be dead or one would be out of credit when one needed it the most?

I find the question surprising, but here you go:  there's a little device for one's dumbphone called a "charger" which is plugged into a receptacle in the vehicle and to the dumbphone and which charges it automatically when the vehicle is in operation.  That way, it's there, ready, willing and able when it's needed most.  It's on the Amigo plan which requires 50 pesos a month to keep credited.  At present, it has an accumulated credit of over 2,500 minutes.
I'd gladly transfer some of those excess minutes to someone else, but all my friends have smart phones and other plans.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Remember that Waze depends on many users sharing, and in Mexico, especially outside of major cities, there are not always enough for it to be helpful. In Mexico, I find Google maps better.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Canada_Mike wrote:Remember that Waze depends on many users sharing, and in Mexico, especially outside of major cities, there are not always enough for it to be helpful. In Mexico, I find Google maps better.

Maps, yes......traffic conditions, no.
WAZE is best in metropolitan areas, cuotas, and major highways, but that is where most traffic tieups occur.
Not good in rural areas or roads like to Yerbabuena. Colima, below the crater of the volcan.
Los topes, baches, y flujos de lava, no se reportan. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2