INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seeking early editions of El Ojo del Lago

+3
Trailrunner
CanuckBob
tonyburton
7 posters

Go down

Seeking early editions of El Ojo del Lago Empty Seeking early editions of El Ojo del Lago

Post by tonyburton Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi everyone,
I am hoping that someone reading this might have, stashed away somewhere, the following issues of El Ojo del Lago.
(Please note that I have already approached the publisher and the editor but neither has any archive of copies from this time frame):
1988: February / July / November
1989: May / June / July / September / October / November / December
1990: January / February / March / April / May / July / August / September / November / December
1991: February / April / May / June / July / December
1993: September
Please, please, get in touch if you have any, or all, of these issues. They could be a considerable help to me as I continue to research the authors and artists associated with Lake Chapala.
Thanks!
Tony
My email

tonyburton

Back to top Go down

Seeking early editions of El Ojo del Lago Empty Re: Seeking early editions of El Ojo del Lago

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:30 pm

Hola Tony, have you checked with the Lake Chapala society to see if they archive any of these old publications?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Seeking early editions of El Ojo del Lago Empty Re: Seeking early editions of El Ojo del Lago

Post by tonyburton Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:11 pm

Hola Bob;  Thanks, that's a worthwhile idea. I haven't actually checked with LCS yet, but will do so now (though I rather doubt they kept copies). I meant to add in original post that I've already seen Dale Palfrey's collection of back issues.

tonyburton

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:57 pm

Maybe ask Tommy Thompson? The original printer?
Where was it originally printed? Who were the original writers, maybe they kept them . . .
Suerte.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tonyburton Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks, Trailrunner.
I will check with Tom Thompson; good idea!
I believe El Ojo was originally printed in Guadalajara, but think that locating print shop and/or copies from that long ago would be a real long shot. Sadly, almost all the original writers (except Dale Palfrey) are no longer living at Lakeside or have long since passed on (eg Diana Murray, Cody and June Summers, Joan Frost etc). Still, someone somewhere may just have the issues I'm looking for! Fingers crossed!

tonyburton

Back to top Go down

Post by JayBear Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:09 pm

Tony, I have my fingers crossed. too! I have heard so much about the early days of the expat colony at Lakeside, but it is not well documented. Good luck!!!

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tonyburton Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:22 pm

Thanks, JayBear. There are lots of great (untold) stories related to the early days that I'm planning to include in a new book ~ but don't hold your breath, it's going to take me a while to complete it!

tonyburton

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:31 pm

I love hearing old stories about this place, I hope you are able to find these issues.

Another longshot - are you in touch with John Frost? Joan might have kept them, maybe he ran across some. They had a lot of old stuff from the area in that house.
Who started the LCR? Maybe they have some old issues?
I'm really reaching now. . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 pm

When Morgan Bedford was alive he saved copies from way back, but don't know what happened to them on his passing.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tonyburton Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks, roadrunner and slainte39, for your suggestions. I'll follow with John Frost Jr.

tonyburton

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:03 am

Have you checked with Allyn Hunt? He and Bev may have stashed away something like that.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:02 am

I was thinking last night: if someone saved all the issues from 1988 until now that would be 348 copies of the Ojo. They'd have to have a special room in their house for their collection. Or maybe a special house!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:30 am

Trailrunner wrote:I was thinking last night: if someone saved all the issues from 1988 until now that would be 348 copies of the Ojo. They'd have to have a special room in their house for their collection. Or maybe a special house!

Why has my mind conjured up the image of an elderly lady with barely negotiable hallways stacked with copies of the the Ojo, who also hosts 35 cats?
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by tonyburton Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:52 pm

Flamingo: No, I haven't. I agree it is possible that they may have some early copies, but when I tried to contact Allyn Hunt last time I was in the area he wasn't interested in meeting, or even talking on the phone. (Sad, but true!).
Trailrunner and Gringal: Yep; not quite that many because in some of the early years, I seem to recall that they had a summer edition covering two months, but still quite a lot! Like the image of the elderly lady and all those cats.
(Please don't tell my wife how many newspapers, magazines, etc I've got stored in the basement...)

tonyburton

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Tony Burton, have you seen the South of North column in GR? 8/12 - 8/18 First published 5/88
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tonyburton Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Trailrunner: not yet, but I'm about to take a look...
Thanks for the heads-up. By coincidence, last week I published a short profile of Allyn Hunt -  "unauthorized", in the sense that Allyn did not have any input into its writing - at http://sombrerobooks.com/?p=6041 ~ enjoy!

OLD COPIES OF EL OJO
So far, all lines of enquiry have drawn a blank. I am still seeking early editions of El Ojo as described in the original post but would like to give all respondents a public "THANK YOU" for your valuable suggestions. If anyone has further thoughts about where I might find early copies, or if anyone comes across any of the early copies on my list, then please do get in touch! Thanks!!

tonyburton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down