INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Repelling mosquitoes

+12
helohfe
ltollefs
kiko
ferret
Carry Bean
Rosa Venus
solajijic
Flamingo
Trailrunner
mielicita
hockables
WillieRae
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Repelling mosquitoes Empty Repelling mosquitoes

Post by WillieRae Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:10 pm

We have found that peppermint essential oils are great for keeping them at bay....go to the great "Oracle" - Google to research safe, natural repellents.

WillieRae
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Repelling mosquitoes Empty Re: Repelling mosquitoes

Post by hockables Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:28 pm

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/alert/zika-virus-mexico

I read Zika is related to Dengue
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mielicita Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:50 pm

hockables wrote:http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/alert/zika-virus-mexico

I read Zika is related to Dengue
dengue, chikungunya, Zika....basically same mosquito

mielicita
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:12 pm

Serious stuff. I've not found any natural or less toxic repellants to be very effective. What does work well are the coils. We used them in Hawaii, I used them in Joco, and I'm using them in SAT. They work. So far, no lung cancer.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:41 pm

So far, the frogs in the standing water near our house seem to be our best repellent. YEA frogs.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:47 pm

I cannot get those coils to stay lit. If you have a hint please share it.

For skin coverage we use Johnsons and Johnsons Baby Misquito repellant. It comes in a lavender plastic bottle the same shape as their baby oil. No idea whats in it justknow it works for the 2 in our family who get bite. We have 3 who don't get bit.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:16 pm

Sol, you have to hold the match to the tip for a half mimute or so until the entire end is lit and it is producing a fair amount of smoke. You have to place the coils on something like the little stand not flat.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:00 pm

Yes,  the coils need air/oxygen once lit. Elevate it. (I use a clothes pin inside a shot glass.) Those coils plus a - works for me - mosquito repllent are my best defense. And I still get bites if I get lazy about it. I'm a magnet.

Mosquitos are attracted to your own personal scent. We're all different. Some people give off an attractive chemical/bio scent, others less so. All repellents are designed to mask your scent, one way or the other. That's why some ("essential oils", DEET, whatever) work for some people, and just plain don't work at all for others. We're all different. The chemical you apply to your body (natural or from the lab) reacts differently depending on your own personal chemistry. I've tried lots of repellents and decided that whatever works for you, works for YOU. Yay you.

That's what I think anyway. Good luck everyone!
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by WillieRae Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:15 am

We also take garlic supplements daily and that too seems to help...the odorless ones.....

WillieRae
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:32 am

There should be a little rectangular metal piece in the box the coils come from. Push up from the bottom & there's a metal piece to set the coil on. We always place the whole thing on a saucer, lit it & closed up the room for a little while. Then the room is mosquito-free.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:15 am

Mosquitos are attracted to the CO2 we exhale and that seeps through our skin.

I also put overhead fans on to circulate the smoke. True, you don't have to leave the punk burning for a long time just until the mosquitos leave the area. Best to be aggressive. The incubation period for dengue can be up to 2 weeks.

Yes, good luck everyone!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:16 am

Carry Bean wrote:There should be a little rectangular metal piece in the box the coils come from.

I always seem to lose or break that thing. I'm clumsy.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:39 pm

Just curious...
If Kokoty pendants for dogs work to repel fleas, ticks and mosquitoes and boost the immune system...why wouldn't they work for humans?
No chemicals, no sprays and it appears that one size fits all since their website doesn't say anything about different sizes for different size dogs. But I'd wear a necklace made of them if it would work.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:57 pm

https://youtu.be/QWVIIlM0pdo
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:15 pm

The B1 (100 mg) didn't work for me but maybe I wasn't taking enough.
I found this article interesting and the comments (there's a lot of them) even more interesting.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/08/23/mosquito-repellent.aspx

Please note you have to scroll down quite a ways to get to the actual article.
In the mean time, I'm getting out the Patchouli oil and the Tea Tree Oil.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:33 am

ferret wrote:Just curious...
If Kokoty pendants for dogs work to repel fleas, ticks and mosquitoes and boost the immune system...why wouldn't they work for humans?
No chemicals, no sprays and it appears that one size fits all since their website doesn't say anything about different sizes for different size dogs. But I'd wear a necklace made of them if it would work.

They won't work for humans because they DON'T WORK! Simply put, Kokoty pendants are a scam. If you can afford to waste your money, buy it, and in "a few weeks*", with no sign of any repelling effect, you'll go on to the next sciency sounding thing (quantum is a favorite) that promises all but delivers nothing.

From the text: "The unique combination of natural frequencies infused into the Kokoty pendant and accompanying split ring repel the pests and support your pet attaining or maintaining its ideal Harmonic Resonance Frequency." What does this even mean? What could it mean?

You might want to make use of Periodic Table when making similar decisions.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by helohfe Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:12 am

The July 2015 issue of Consumer Reports had a well conducted test and article of numerous insect repellents. It also discussed Deet and alternatives...Their synopsis of the top 10 (there were more tested) is as follows..1.Sawyer fisherman's formula Picaridin..2. Repel lemon eucalyptus. 3.Repel, scented family. 4. Natrapel 8 hour. 5.Off deep woods VIII. 6. Coleman skin smart.. 7.Cutter skinsations. 8.Cutter natural. 9. Burt's Bees herbal.
10. Babyganics natural..

The first 5 listed were the best for various mosquito's (Aedes and Culex).

helohfe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:45 am

helohfe wrote:The July 2015 issue of Consumer Reports had a well conducted test and article of numerous insect repellents. It also discussed Deet and alternatives...Their synopsis of the top 10 (there were more tested) is as follows..1.Sawyer fisherman's formula Picaridin..2. Repel lemon eucalyptus. 3.Repel, scented family. 4. Natrapel 8 hour. 5.Off deep woods VIII. 6. Coleman skin smart.. 7.Cutter skinsations. 8.Cutter natural.  9. Burt's Bees herbal.  
10. Babyganics natural..

The first 5 listed were the best for various mosquito's (Aedes and Culex).

What! No quantum, or fields, or waves..oh my!
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:02 am

Whatever you do, don't have an open mind. You wouldn't do well in Medical Research because you already have pre-conceived notions that are set in cement. It's worked for at least one respected poster on this board who had tried everything else.

Ever wonder why there's multiple kinds of medicines for the same problem? It's because everyone doesn't respond to the "one size fits all" theory. It's the whatever works for YOU principle.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:10 am

ferret wrote:Whatever you do, don't have an open mind. You wouldn't do well in Medical Research because you already have pre-conceived notions that are set in cement. It's worked for at least one respected poster on this board who had tried everything else.

Ever wonder why there's multiple kinds of medicines for the same problem? It's because everyone doesn't respond to the "one size fits all" theory. It's the whatever works for YOU principle.

There's a difference in having an open mind and just being gullible. I think you have the two confused.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:30 am

I'm not confused at all. I still know the difference between tried and didn't work to refusal to even try.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:44 am

ferret wrote:I'm not confused at all. I still know the difference between tried and didn't work to refusal to even try.

And I know that value of a sample set of one is nil. Show me the results of any peer reviewed, double-blind experimentation on this device and I'll happily read it. The testimonials of some breathless low-info hand-wringers doesn't quite cut it.

Any man is liable to err, only a fool persists in error.
-Cicero
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:42 pm

I like to think outside of the box 'cuz I'm claustrophobic.
Who said that?

BTW, I wish you uncomplicated medical problems in your life that are permanently fixed by the very first medicine that you try and that there are no side effects.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:45 pm

ltollefs wrote:
They won't work for humans because theyDON'T WORKSimply put, Kokoty pendants are a scam. If you can afford to waste your money, buy it, and in "a few weeks*", with no sign of any repelling effect, you'll go on to the next sciency sounding thing (quantum is a favorite) that promises all but delivers nothing.

I have no scientific proof. What I have is a highly flea-allergic, elderly dog who has been using Kokoty for 6 months. Since we moved to Mexico, this dog had had a serious flea problem. That's 8 years. (We didn't have fleas in Colorado - too high and too dry) I have been using monthly flea drops that helped quite a bit. If I missed his monthly drops by a few days, he was scratching like crazy, biting himself and getting hot spots. For 6 months HE HAS HAD NO FLEAS. He is healthier and happier. My results have not been peer reviewed but Sam the Corgi will testify any where you want.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by La Media Luna Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:01 pm

At La Media Luna we sell all natural repellant made from citronella & cloves. :-)  
It works very well and is all I ever use.

Repelling mosquitoes 12695805_807639636030153_1556125944_n-1
La Media Luna
La Media Luna

http://la-media-luna.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum