INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Please Help Mario

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Please Help Mario

Post by Hensley on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:44 am

Emily Raskin Perey started this campaign to help pay the cost of cancer treatment for Mario Reyes, an artisan from Jocotepec, Jalisco, Mexico. He has always been a very happy and helpful guy who sells his beautiful handmade art to Mexicans and Americans at surprisingly low prices. Mario and his community of friends cannot afford to pay for chemo and radiation. All contributions are needed and greatly appreciated. You can read more about him here: https://www.gofundme.com/7xtxknd5
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1202
Points : 1967
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 56
Location : Chapala 9 Years

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by Zedinmexico on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:22 pm

See the photo most of us know him from the Plaza in Ajijic. He is a generous person and took my sister in law and husband to a village near Mexico city for the experience. Now Mario who has helped so many people Gringo and Mexican needs help himself. Help if you can. If anybody is worth help it is Mario in my opinion.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5385
Points : 5762
Join date : 2011-10-28
Location : On the hill in Ajijic
Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by gringal on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:33 pm

I'll ask the same question as on TOB: what has prevented Mario from receiving care from Seguro Popular?  Anyone know?

What about the Chapala Clinic Harry B referred to on TOB?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 11206
Points : 14036
Join date : 2010-04-09
Location : Lake Chapala (from CA)
Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by Twonk on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:54 pm

gringal wrote:I'll ask the same question as on TOB: what has prevented Mario from receiving care from Seguro Popular?  Anyone know?

What about the Chapala Clinic Harry B referred to on TOB?

Most Mexicans I have asked about it can't be bothered doing all the paperwork you have to do to enroll. They feel that it is not worth the effort because half the time you can't get the treatment or the drugs you need from them anyway.

Twonk
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 81
Points : 79
Join date : 2012-01-23

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by gringal on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:06 pm

"Half the time" getting treatment for illness and drugs is a lot better than none at all, isn't it?

So much for public appreciation of the government providing health care for its citizens who "can't be bothered" to sign up.

Back NOB, I would have been willing to stand in line for three days to get any kind of health insurance, paid for by me or free. There was none for those with pre-existing conditions, so it wasn't an issue, but it's really hard for me to understand the attitude (some expats included, too) of it being too much trouble to sign up. I guess "God will provide" works for them. Rolling Eyes  



Last edited by gringal on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 11206
Points : 14036
Join date : 2010-04-09
Location : Lake Chapala (from CA)
Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by Carry Bean on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Then don't donate.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 2652
Points : 3611
Join date : 2010-04-05
Location : Riberas

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by gringal on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:17 pm

Carry Bean wrote:Then don't donate.

Just curious: Isn't that rather obvious?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 11206
Points : 14036
Join date : 2010-04-09
Location : Lake Chapala (from CA)
Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by Carry Bean on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:19 pm

I don't see where it's anyone's business what kind of medical insurance others have. If you don't like that he doesn't go to SP and you're not going to donate, which is entirely your right, ignore the post. I doubt Mario reads forums.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 2652
Points : 3611
Join date : 2010-04-05
Location : Riberas

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by gringal on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:33 pm

Carry Bean wrote:I don't see where it's anyone's business what kind of medical insurance others have.  If you don't like that he doesn't go to SP and you're not going to donate, which is entirely your right, ignore the post.  I doubt Mario reads forums.

I doubt it, too, and this wasn't addressed to him. There are a number of expats who go the same route for the same reasons. Hopefully, some will give it consideration.

It's nobody's business about anyone's health insurance until someone posts soliciting sympathy and money for a person who doesn't have any. If there were no source of government insurance, I'd donate to all those people who fall ill, have no money to pay their bills and rely on fundraisers.

Feel free to donate, if that's your inclination.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 11206
Points : 14036
Join date : 2010-04-09
Location : Lake Chapala (from CA)
Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by Carry Bean on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:37 pm

Then why not start another thread instead of dumping on this one & every other request for help?

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 2652
Points : 3611
Join date : 2010-04-05
Location : Riberas

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by slainte39 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:14 pm

Twonk wrote:
gringal wrote:I'll ask the same question as on TOB: what has prevented Mario from receiving care from Seguro Popular?  Anyone know?

What about the Chapala Clinic Harry B referred to on TOB?

Most Mexicans I have asked about it can't be bothered doing all the paperwork you have to do to enroll. They feel that it is not worth the effort because half the time you can't get the treatment or the drugs you need from them anyway.


Not to detract from the OP's request but to answer this post only.

I am Mexican and it took me about 15 minutes earlier this year (one trip only), to sign up for SP and receive my letter of enrollment at the Chapala office.
No bother, no money......

I am not trying to hijack the intent of this thread, but only to dispel the misinformation that SP is some kind of huge "bother".
It may not be perfect (what is?), but they have clinics everywhere and a nice new facility in El Chante.

Please folks, don't spread this chisme among the Mexican community that this is some kind of unclimbable mountain.  Encourage your Mexican friends to enroll.......foreigners as well.


Last edited by slainte39 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 8553
Points : 10910
Join date : 2010-07-22

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by gringal on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:15 pm

Carry Bean wrote:Then why not start another thread instead of dumping on this one & every other request for help?

I'm done with the matter at hand, but I will probably express my feelings on it every time it comes up. If you think this is the way things should work, how about giving us your reasoning instead of dumping on me for "dumping" on the situation?

There are a few common behaviors that get me riled, as they are practiced both by expats living here and visiting:
Getting a "pet" for the season and dumping it when they go back north or dumping it when it's no longer convenient and/or elderly people making no provision for it in the event of their demise. (And I'm no "pet person". I don't have any)
Maybe it all goes along with a strong bias in favor of responsible living.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 11206
Points : 14036
Join date : 2010-04-09
Location : Lake Chapala (from CA)
Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by viajero on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Twonk wrote:


Most Mexicans I have asked about it can't be bothered doing all the paperwork you have to do to enroll. They feel that it is not worth the effort because half the time you can't get the treatment or the drugs you need from them anyway.
Most of my Mexican family are enrolled and the paperwork was minimal.
If he couldn't be bothered..well ...

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5755
Points : 5878
Join date : 2011-07-26
Location : San Pedro de los Saguaros
Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by Carry Bean on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:09 pm

There are some common behaviors that rile me up as well & this is one of them which strikes me as mean-spirited & judgmental. Maybe those who feel so strongly about it should go help sign up people who might not be able to read or write or are intimidated.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 2652
Points : 3611
Join date : 2010-04-05
Location : Riberas

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by gringal on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:06 pm

Carry Bean wrote:There are some common behaviors that rile me up as well & this is one of them which strikes me as mean-spirited & judgmental.  Maybe those who feel so strongly about it should go help sign up people who might not be able to read or write or are intimidated.

As you know, the word "judgmental" is heavily loaded. In fact, using the word "mean spirited" is, in fact, "judgmental". Since you and I have never met, nor know the other by reputation, neither of us has any idea of what the other does for the community.

I've heard that the people at S.P. are very helpful to those who apply and who often have little education. I'm sure they would accept your help as well. Peace.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 11206
Points : 14036
Join date : 2010-04-09
Location : Lake Chapala (from CA)
Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by gringal on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:12 pm

slainte39 wrote:
Twonk wrote:
gringal wrote:I'll ask the same question as on TOB: what has prevented Mario from receiving care from Seguro Popular?  Anyone know?

What about the Chapala Clinic Harry B referred to on TOB?

Most Mexicans I have asked about it can't be bothered doing all the paperwork you have to do to enroll. They feel that it is not worth the effort because half the time you can't get the treatment or the drugs you need from them anyway.


Not to detract from the OP's request but to answer this post only.

I am Mexican and it took me about 15 minutes earlier this year (one trip only), to sign up for SP and receive my letter of enrollment at the Chapala office.
No bother, no money......

I am not trying to hijack the intent of this thread, but only to dispel the misinformation that SP is some kind of huge "bother".
It may not be perfect (what is?), but they have clinics everywhere and a nice new facility in El Chante.

Please folks, don't spread this chisme among the Mexican community that this is some kind of unclimbable mountain.  Encourage your Mexican friends to enroll.......foreigners as well.


Thank you for injecting some badly needed facts into the discussion.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 11206
Points : 14036
Join date : 2010-04-09
Location : Lake Chapala (from CA)
Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by Carry Bean on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:47 pm

Word.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 2652
Points : 3611
Join date : 2010-04-05
Location : Riberas

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by slainte39 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:41 pm

If you have ever visited or needed the Centro de Salud (physical facility of SP), you know it is heavily trafficked by 99% Mexicans and they are not members of the oligarchy, but people who need the financial assistance this program gives. It is as near universal health care you can find, with the usual bumps and bruises such worthwhile endeavors, these government social programs carry.
The only intimidation is probably on the staff taking care of everyone and I commend them and laud their efforts.  Mexico is light years ahead of the US in this potential of reaching everyone to improve health care for their people.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 8553
Points : 10910
Join date : 2010-07-22

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by kiko on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:49 am

This link will help Mario: http://www.insidelakeside.com/t15127-cure-your-own-cancer-sites

One of the sites mentioned in the link has over 66,000 members who are involved in cannabis oil treatment of cancers.
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 641
Points : 1534
Join date : 2014-09-10

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by Gamina on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:20 pm

[quote="Twonk"]
gringal wrote:

Most Mexicans I have asked about it can't be bothered doing all the paperwork you have to do to enroll. They feel that it is not worth the effort because half the time you can't get the treatment or the drugs you need from them anyway.

Twonk was the poster that suggested perhaps he hasn't bothered to enroll in SP. That doesn't mean he hasn't actually enrolled. SP many times doesn't have the medicine that's needed and the person has to pay for it out of their own pocket.

Having said that, I would like to know if Mario belongs to SP.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 898
Points : 1108
Join date : 2011-05-05

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by RVGRINGO on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:25 pm

I have known some folks who did not have birth certificates, voter identification, or any other ID. I assume they might find it difficult to enroll in anything.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1499
Points : 2071
Join date : 2011-02-16

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by gringal on Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:53 pm

Gamina wrote:
Twonk wrote:
gringal wrote:

Most Mexicans I have asked about it can't be bothered doing all the paperwork you have to do to enroll. They feel that it is not worth the effort because half the time you can't get the treatment or the drugs you need from them anyway.

Twonk was the poster that suggested perhaps he hasn't bothered to enroll in SP.  That doesn't mean he hasn't actually enrolled.  SP many times doesn't have the medicine that's needed and the person has to pay for it out of their own pocket.

Having said that, I would like to know if Mario belongs to SP.

That quote wasn't from me. I quoted another poster.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 11206
Points : 14036
Join date : 2010-04-09
Location : Lake Chapala (from CA)
Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by slainte39 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:14 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:I have known some folks who did not have birth certificates, voter identification, or any other ID. I assume they might find it difficult to enroll in anything.

I'll bet you didn't know very many or maybe they weren't being honest with you or they were living in a cave on an uninhabited island.
It's very hard to exist in Mexico without some type of government credential to prove your existence.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 8553
Points : 10910
Join date : 2010-07-22

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by suegarn on Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:48 pm

I have to agree with gringal. Even if he was illiterate, someone could have helped him sign up for Seguro Popular at some point in his life. Why don't Mexicans automatically register their children when they are born?
And if he couldn't find the time or didn't think he needed to because he was in good health......well, life is not fair sometimes. We thought that we had plenty of time to decide on health insurance, then my partner had a heart attack and needed immediate surgery in Guadalajara. No insurance, so we had to pay out of pocket for the hospital costs. Thank goodness I had enough in my savings to cover the cost!

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 771
Points : 1055
Join date : 2013-11-12

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by viajero on Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:27 am

suegarn wrote:  Why don't Mexicans automatically register their children when they are born?    
Most do,but oftentimes a current birth certificate,less than 6 months old,is required to complete a goverment tramite,example,my wife had to had have a new one sent from Guanajuato to renew her credencial.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5755
Points : 5878
Join date : 2011-07-26
Location : San Pedro de los Saguaros
Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Please Help Mario Empty Re: Please Help Mario

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum