INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Bandito Alert - Hwy. 97 in Tamaulipas

Go down

Bandito Alert - Hwy. 97 in Tamaulipas Empty Bandito Alert - Hwy. 97 in Tamaulipas

Post by Ezzie on Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:19 pm

Just a heads up to anyone on here that use the SLP-Cd. Victoria-Reynosa/Pharr route.

Coming southbound last Friday (SUV pulling a small cargo trailer) I was about 30 km. south of Reynosa on Hwy. 97 when a fast moving white Chevy Trailblazer with Texas tags came up from behind and flashed lights at me. It then pulled up beside me and there were three men inside, one of which carrying a hand held FRS type radio. They motioned for me to pull over. I didn't. Due to oncoming traffic they backed off and then came up beside me again. I did not slow down. They then pulled in front of me and expecting them to slam on the brakes, I pulled over and up beside them on the driver's side. I then made eye contact with the driver and shook my finger at them as an expression a parent makes to a naughty child. They backed right off, slowed and made a U-turn and headed the other way.

I guess they decided I wasn't worth messing with. I am convinced they were likely working with spotters somewhere near the border crossing at Pharr. Keep your eyes open and watch for anything unusual if going along that route.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Bandito Alert - Hwy. 97 in Tamaulipas Empty Re: Bandito Alert - Hwy. 97 in Tamaulipas

Post by Jim W on Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:28 pm

BALSY move Ezzie! Beer Thumbs up
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Bandito Alert - Hwy. 97 in Tamaulipas Empty Re: Bandito Alert - Hwy. 97 in Tamaulipas

Post by viajero on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:11 pm

I've found that shaking my finger at the squeegee guys works pretty well,but I had no idea that it worked with highway bandidos in Tamaulipas as well.
Que pinches bandidios tan miedosos..

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy on Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:20 pm

Why didn't you hook up with the Federale convoys they have running down 97 and 101 to Victoria and Tampico?  They started running them last year because it is a very dangerous road.  That is the only way I would drive that route today.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie on Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:38 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the Federal Police convoys. Didn't know they had such a thing for "civilian" traffic. Where do you meet up with them?

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy on Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:59 pm

A friend that lives in the RGV told me about the caravans.  She knew that I was driving up frequently with cars to sell.  

Here is something I found on google.

http://www.latarde.com.mx/reanudapoliciafederalcaravanasareynosamatamorosytampico-56343.html

There was also some new video's from the TV stations in the RGV

Personally, I like to take the east coast route but I have heard too many stories like yours.  Some stories were much worse.  I haven't been that way in over 5 years.  Consider yourself LUCKY Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:07 am

Warning for people who cross from west coast to Mexico using Lukeville Arizona crossing.

Another change in last year or so is Lukeville Arizona crossing two hours west of Nogales. Taking Mexican route two from Lukeville Arizona east to pick up 15 south of Nagales is not safe anymore.  The bad guys use to be north and south of route 2 now they are fighting over area near road and cities.  This is serious with many murders.

Cross at Nogales to be safe. Another route lost to the madness.

Z

Last edited by Zedinmexico on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:13 am

I prefer the east coast route due to the much easier border crossing at the Pharr (as compared to the Laredo crossings) and the better road conditions through northern Mexico.  The piece of Hwy. 85 from the top of the Monterrey cuota to Nuevo Laredo is reaching a point of near impassability. The top end of Hwy. 1 approaching the Columbia crossing from the south was also in very bad shape and completely deserted the last time I used it (in late June).

Shortly there may be a better alternative to passing through Cd. Victoria thus avoiding 97/101.  I noticed on this trip that the toll road bypassing around the south side of Reynosa (from the Pharr Bridge exit where is crosses Hwy. 2) is almost complete over to the Reynosa-Monterrey cuota.  Once completed, one could take the Pharr crossing then bypass around Reynosa and on over to Monterrey-Saltillo and then take either 54 or 57 south.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:30 am

Ezzie, have you ever taken the 40 autopista?  It is just a couple of miles past the 97 turnoff.  It is a very good road taking you to Monterrey, Saltillo and 57 south.

I like to cross at the Anzalduas crossing in Mission TX.  It is a new modern facility that avoids Reynosa traffic with quick access out of town. I agree with you about Laredo

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie on Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:24 am

The new cuota around the south of Reynosa was closed from the 97 exit on toward the west last Friday when I came through.  I was intending to try it but the road did not appear open yet (blocked with cement barriers).  By then I was too far south to bother going back up to Hwy. 2 so I just continued on south to Cd. Victoria.

Next time through I will check out the Anzalduas crossing.  My preference is 54 over 57 so am still searching for a better way to get from Saltillo to Houston.  Another alternative to try might be the Monclova-Piedras Negras route - certainly would be less toll $$$ but a bit out of the way and I do not have much info on road or safety conditions.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum