INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QUICK CHANGES

+17
Pedro
suegarn
itsme
Smartalex
Rosa Venus
slainte39
dcampbell757
gvprod
thomashellyer
Nosnow
barbicheesecake
brigitte
RVGRINGO
CanuckBob
Jim W
viajero
Flamingo
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

QUICK CHANGES - Page 2 Empty Re: QUICK CHANGES

Post by coltivatore Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:07 am

Eaches? No, by weight, Kilos.

coltivatore

Back to top Go down

Post by dcampbell757 Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:22 am

The chicken store outside the Chapala mercado , as well as the produce stand inside the market, and local abarrotes, all sell by the kilo; some pre-packaged and other amounts as requested . I usually buy the amount I need for the day.

dcampbell757
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:28 am

Buying eggs by the dozen or any number is a fairly modern thing in Mexico that came with Walmart and other supermarkets in the last 20 years.  There was a time, in my lifetime, that all eggs were sold by weight, at least in my remembering and experience, as egg cartons as we know them now, or exist NOB, didn't exist in  Mexico.
I guess grading and sorting, like the "egg factories" do nowadays wasn't common and all Mexican eggs weren't created equal. Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:01 am

coltivatore wrote:Eaches? No, by weight, Kilos.

In the above quote, Thomashellyar said that at the Green Door the eggs are 4 pesos EACH or $48 per dozen
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:19 am

Well, since this thread can now officially be called "the egg thread", I'll just add that I love how eggs are sold here by the bulk (not dozen). I don't use that many eggs, so the dozen used to sit in the fridge for god knows how long. When I need to buy two eggs, I can buy two eggs. Viva Mexico!
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:48 am

In Chiapas at the market the eggs and everything else are sold by 10, 20, 50 and so on pesos. eggs are 3 for 10 and everything is sold by measures that come down to 10 20 30 pesos. You buy 10 pesos of onions or 20 pesos of tomatoes and everything is premeasured by price. You can buy by the kilo but it is not done as a rule. Eggs are packed in pastic bags.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:48 am

In Chiapas at the market the eggs and everything else are sold by 10, 20, 50 and so on pesos. eggs are 3 for 10 and everything is sold by measures that come down to 10 20 30 pesos. You buy 10 pesos of onions or 20 pesos of tomatoes and everything is premeasured by price. You can buy by the kilo but it is not done as a rule. Eggs are packed in plastic bags.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:56 am

I bought half a kilo this morning at the corner store,12 pesos.
Everywhere I've purchased eggs,Jalisco,Nayarit,Guanajuato,etc.they've been sold by the kilo.
Mexicans eat more eggs per capita than any other nationality.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:44 am

I chose not to argue the fact, when I mentioned a price per kilo for eggs, but I am glad to discover that many of you have now discovered that eggs are commonly sold by the kilo in Mexico, and always have been. Yes, you can also buy single eggs in any tienda.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:48 am

Yes, I learned something new. Gracias. Strange that they aren't sold that way in any of the stores I have shopped in (Walmart, Soriana's, Mega, Costco, etc, etc.).

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:51 am

You can also buy practically anything in a small quantity at some of the little stores, including one cigarette. We can all figure out the reason for this.
It might also explain the big buses from the outlying areas that come on "sale day" Tuesdays to Walmart where the store owners buy in bulk and then sell in small quantities to their customers.

It looks like there is no sizing involved. When I buy a dozen eggs at Puritan Poultry, the carton contains small, medium and large, very obviously. Two choices only: white or brown.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by coltivatore Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:51 pm

Walmart, Soriana, Mega, Cosco, etc, etc. Perhaps more of us should consider support for the small tiendas for our needs (most have staples ie. bread flour sugar EGGS etc. etc)) and use the chains for things not available there. But then again, silly me, with our busy and hectic lives we seldom have time! Just Sayin'
coltivatore
coltivatore

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:09 pm

I am always amazed at what the small tiendas have in stock. It is never all visible, so you must ask, but they usually have milk, eggs, bread, sliced ham & cheese, condiments, beer, juices, candy, electrolytes, aspirin, flour, sugar, salt, etc.
So, go to rollybrook.com and copy the lexicon of Spanish terms for foods and ingredients. Then learn how to ask for what you want.
We were fortunate to have a tienda just steps from our front gate. It was so very handy and the prices were better than Walmart‘s.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:16 pm

coltivatore wrote:Walmart, Soriana, Mega, Cosco, etc, etc. Perhaps more of us should consider support for the small tiendas for our needs (most have staples ie. bread flour sugar EGGS etc. etc)) and use the chains for things not available there. But then again, silly me, with our busy and hectic lives we seldom have time!   Just Sayin'

Funny you should say that...........I needed 6 eggs this morning so I strolled over to "The Green Door" and they didn't have any, I went to two other tianguis by the plaza and guess what....no eggs. I went to Walmart and they had lots. For those keeping score they were 26 pesos for a dozen medium browns.

While you may not be busy I am plenty busy.....just saying.

Beer Beer
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:38 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:I am always amazed at what the small tiendas have in stock.
You know what amazes me,RV,within in 3 blocks of our house there are 6 tiendas,3 carnicerias,4 papelerias,2 tlapalerias,2 cybers,2 verdurarias,2 panaderias,3 licorerias,2 cenadurias, half a dozen taquerias and the Friday tianguis etc. Very Happy

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:25 pm

viajero wrote:
You know what amazes me,RV,within in 3 blocks of our house there are 6 tiendas,3 carnicerias,4 papelerias,2 tlapalerias,2 cybers,2 verdurarias,2 panaderias,3 licorerias,2 cenadurias, half a dozen taquerias and the Friday tianguis etc. Very Happy

Chapala is like what you describe...kinda reminds me of Mexico. Ajijic is strung out along the carretera...kinda reminds me of Oklahoma.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by coltivatore Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:17 pm

Bob, Touche, but it wasn't directed at only you (why I didn't use your quote) Most of us have time to buy our chicken from the chicken store, beef from the carnicera, veg at the mercado, etc. I enjoy many different tiendas and the people that own them, and that they recognize me and appreciate that I continue to return to there business. flag waver flag waver
coltivatore
coltivatore

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:05 pm

I agree with you. If I had the time I would probably shop at all these little guys too. Right now I need one stop shopping.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:07 pm

Smartalex wrote:
viajero wrote:

Chapala is like what you describe...kinda reminds me of Mexico. Ajijic is strung out along the carretera...kinda reminds me of Oklahoma.

You need to spend more time in Ajijic. There are little stores and shops all throughout the village. They are just better disguised. Every time I walk down a different street I see something new. In fact the picture in the banner was taken at the bottom of Ramon Corona and there are at least 12 businesses running up that street from the bottom to the top. Probably 30 or more on Colon.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by itsme Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:17 pm

I just bought eggs by the kilo at SuperLake yesterday, one can also buy them by the dozen there. The eggs sold singly are probably fresher than the ones in the cooler which are sold by the dozen.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:00 am

coltivatore wrote:Walmart, Soriana, Mega, Cosco, etc, etc. Perhaps more of us should consider support for the small tiendas for our needs (most have staples ie. bread flour sugar EGGS etc. etc)) and use the chains for things not available there. But then again, silly me, with our busy and hectic lives we seldom have time!   Just Sayin'

I would love to shop at all the individual small stores for my grocery needs. But I don't have a car, and Walmart is the closest store, so it just isn't feasible to walk from one end of town to the other for all my needs. It has nothing to do with being busy!

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:36 am

No matter where you decide you have the time/energy/ability to shop around here, you are supporting the Mexican economy.

Tuesday is our big shopping day from the Farmers market to up and down the Carretera.  It's also the day that the big busloads of Mexicans arrive at Walmart.
Upon observing the large quantity of food being loaded onto the conveyor at the checkout, I guess that it's being re-sold in little shops, probably out of the area.
So.......it just moves on down the line, at the best price people can get, wherever.  These folks aren't shopping at Superlake, BTW. Rolling Eyes

Superlake has its own truckload coming in from Costco and wherever else.  They mark up the Costco frozen foods at least 30% and any other items for what the market will bear.  On some things, it's worth it to buy your one bottle or can there, since who needs a six pack of Worchestershire Sauce?
It's a lot cheaper for us to use the services of Lakeside Express or Cynthia Ornelas and pay their fees to get groceries delivered to our doors, than to pay the markup at good old Superlake, as long as you have room in your freezer or cupboards to put it.  Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:03 pm

superlake-kraut,relish,pickles,slivered almonds, brautwurst,that's about all and hardly ever. sometimes wallyworld will have the kraut and relish now and i prefer wally sour pickles[mexican] to those fake mekin kosher style that my frau likes from sl. they ain't strubbs.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by coltivatore Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:02 pm

suegarn wrote:

I would love to shop at all the individual small stores for my grocery needs.  But I don't have a car, and Walmart is the closest store, so it just isn't feasible to walk from one end of town to the other for all my needs.  It has nothing to do with being busy!

You obviously didn't read my second post. flag waver flag waver
coltivatore
coltivatore

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:24 pm

coltivatore wrote:
suegarn wrote:

I would love to shop at all the individual small stores for my grocery needs.  But I don't have a car, and Walmart is the closest store, so it just isn't feasible to walk from one end of town to the other for all my needs.  It has nothing to do with being busy!

Yes coltivatore, I did read your second post. You obviously didn't read mine very well. I stated that I don't have a car to be able to stop at all the small tiendas! It's very difficult to walk from one end of town to the other, picking up one or two items at each store!

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by coltivatore Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:20 pm

suegarn wrote:
coltivatore wrote:
suegarn wrote:

Yes coltivatore, I did read your second post.  You obviously didn't read mine very well.  I stated that I don't have a car to be able to stop at all the small tiendas!  It's very difficult to walk from one end of town to the other, picking up one or two items at each store!  

So you picked the 1st post and ignored the second. Why, so you could have something to bitch about. Shit stirring Or you missed the point it was about supporting the local small business and not the chains. I'm not really concerned about your transportation issues! Take a taxi.
coltivatore
coltivatore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next