INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two Canadians missing from the lake

+17
shana
RVGRINGO
slainte39
pamarie
espíritu del lago
Clueless
Grizzy
BRLAhere
CanuckBob
sparks
barbicheesecake
Ms.Thang
Pedro
gobluejohn
Rosa Venus
Intercasa
itsme
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Two Canadians missing from the lake - Page 2 Empty Re: Two Canadians missing from the lake

Post by RVGRINGO Mon May 25, 2015 1:26 pm

Maybe she is fifteen feet tall and can hold her breath between waves. Rolling Eyes

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Two Canadians missing from the lake - Page 2 Empty Re: Two Canadians missing from the lake

Post by Pedro Mon May 25, 2015 1:41 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:Maybe she is fifteen feet tall and can hold her breath between waves. Rolling Eyes
SNORK!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by shana Mon May 25, 2015 1:49 pm

The lake is much deeper than it was 12+ years ago. At that time the dry lakebed extended out about 1/4 of a mile from what is now the shoreline.
Trees grew and wire fences were built to contain farm animals.
When the water came up people were asked to remove fences and other things that had been built. The trees were cut down but stumps remained. Most of the fences were not removed.
You cannot see what is under the surface of the water and once you are in the water it is easy to become ensnared by the underwater debris. Although life jackets can often help, in the circumstances of the lake they may not .

shana
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Mon May 25, 2015 2:37 pm

Lake is murky,you cant see where those less than 6 feet deep spots are, if you panic, then you will be wildly treading water.  How many hours can you tread water in the shallow end of a swimming pool?  Now add being outdoors, older, panicked, with waves and wind etc. and the shore being miles away
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Mon May 25, 2015 4:41 pm

The lake bottom is silt, you sink into it if you try to stand on it.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Mon May 25, 2015 8:04 pm

Good to here about all this! I have some experience with sailing hobiecats and small turnabouts, rowing, canoeing and running small motor boats and I'm a good swimmer, but this lake sounds too dangerous to enjoy doing any water sports on it given all the info on this forum. Too bad cause it looks so lovely in all the photos.   Oh well I'm so sorry for the family members who lost their loved ones this way.....

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm

I want to apologize to anyone if my post has been offensive on here, regarding these three people that many of you were friends with. I meant no disrespect, I just was stunned by this travesty and was trying to understand how something like this could of happened. Bottom line, there is no sense in trying to make sense out of it, and my post may have come across as insensitive or harsh, which I can assure was not my intention! I truly am very sorry for the loss of these people to those who knew them and loved them.

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by windrider17 Mon May 25, 2015 8:49 pm

Sorry, but all of this is speculative bullshit. I'm a long time (55 years) lake sailor. We don't know anything other than the final condition of the boat, the weather, no life jackets, a little about the lake (much less than good boaters should), and the final results. Mistakes may have been made, conditions may have taken control, and all of this Monday morning quarterbacking is stupid. I was on the lake, sailing at about the same time, got the hell off of the lake safely, and feel miserable that I did not know what was going on and could not help. May these three men rest in peace. Be vigilant, wear life jackets, and enjoy and respect this beautiful lake.

windrider17
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Warped

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 25, 2015 9:05 pm

....and don't use much alcohol or put three people in a boat built for 1 or maybe 2.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Mon May 25, 2015 9:41 pm

Thank you David for bringing up the subject of alcohol. I was wondering if anyone was willing to discuss this. As a long-time ocean sailor, I'm well aware of the fact that the overwhelming majority of boating accidents are due to excessive drinking. And thank you also for pointing out that the boat they were sailing was built for two people...and not three. And what about the life jackets? They may have them on board but obviously weren't wearing them. Looks like these guys did everything wrong.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by windrider17 Mon May 25, 2015 9:47 pm

What was the boat? I've seen pictures but no indication as to the boat type other than a comment that it was a "plastic boat".

windrider17
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Warped

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Mon May 25, 2015 10:03 pm

It's hard to identify from the foto. Looks like about a 12-15 footer, what is commonly referred to as a "sailing dinghy." I'm sure "plastic" means fiberglass.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Semalu Tue May 26, 2015 11:14 pm

Hey isn't this turning into some kind of a pissing match? It was a tragedy. No need to speculate nor look for fault. They have already paid the ultimate price. Let them rest in peace.

Semalu
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue May 26, 2015 11:17 pm

Semalu wrote:Hey isn't this turning into some kind of a pissing match? It was a tragedy. No need to speculate nor look for fault. They have already paid the ultimate price. Let them rest in peace.
indeed!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2