INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quads-ATV's?

+3
Lady Otter Latté
Pedro
kiminmexico
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Quads-ATV's? - Page 2 Empty Re: Quads-ATV's?

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 26, 2014 9:05 am

Yes, I asked several agents if they would provide liability insurance for a 4 seater quad. They all said no as it was not a street legal vehicle and some of them wouldn't even insure it for theft.

I built my Vocho buggy instead as it is fully street legal and could be properly insured.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon May 26, 2014 9:14 am

i'm trying to get hold of jesus t our agent to confirm
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 26, 2014 9:23 am

Simply ask him if you can get an automobile type insurance policy for an ATV or Quad for use on the public roads & highways........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon May 26, 2014 9:42 am

jesus rides an off road moto and since he uses it only off road he hasn't plated it so i will trust what he has to say.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 26, 2014 10:03 am

Plating it and insuring it are two completely different things here in Mexico. You can plate (register) a quad, ATV and even a golf cart but you cannot insure them for liability for use on public highways and roads.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter LattĂ© Mon May 26, 2014 10:22 am

"Simply ask him if you can get an automobile type insurance policy for an ATV or Quad for use on the public roads & highways........"

This is the entire issue summed up in one easy sentence.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon May 26, 2014 10:49 am

ok. here we go. as i mentioned before,mi amigo the former commandante of transitos here said a quad is legal on the road in all of jalisco if it is plated,has liability insurance and you wear a helmet.
just talked to jesus and he confirmed that you CAN get liability insurance for a quad but it's not easy. you have to have a history with the company-car or moto insurance already and then they will insure your quad for liability only. he told me for example that i would be able to get it since i have been insured on the truck and moto for many years with the same company. liability on those 2 only because they are too old for anything else by the way['88 and'53]
is that now plain and simple enough?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter LattĂ© Mon May 26, 2014 10:59 am

Yes. So, if your insurance agent is your amigo AND the former commandante of transitos here AND your quad is legal and plated, AND has liability insurance AND you wear a helmet you can ride it anywhere. AND you can get liability insurance for it IF you have a car or moto insurance already AND then they will insure your quad for liability only. Plain and simple.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon May 26, 2014 11:24 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Yes. So, if your insurance agent is your amigo AND the former commandante of transitos here AND your quad is legal and plated, AND has liability insurance AND you wear a helmet you can ride it anywhere.  AND you can get liability insurance for it IF you have a car or moto insurance already AND then they will insure your quad for liability only. Plain and simple.
it has nothing to do with them being my amigos. they happen to make a living at what they do so they would be considered experts instead of web board speculators. i never told them that i was interested in getting a quad-i told them a perfect stranger asked on a coupla web boards.

and to the op,go get a quad-be happy!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiminmexico Mon May 26, 2014 12:47 pm

I did stop in at S & S and asked there if it was legal to drive an ATV on the carretera & was told it absolutely IS legal as long as you have a plate & wear a helmet. Insurance isn't mandatory. But you can get liability ONLY insurance, although a little pricey at about $3200 pesos a year. To me it would be worth it for peace of mind. You cannot get theft or injury insurance though.
Thanks for all the input.
kiminmexico
kiminmexico

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 26, 2014 1:44 pm

Who does the liability insurance cover? Who is not covered for injuries sustained?

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 26, 2014 1:50 pm

Well that is news to me since I was told a couple of years ago (by insurance agents) that you could not get insurance since they were not street legal. I still wonder why I don't then see a whole bunch of these things driving on the highways or any of the major city streets, particularly the large 4 seat quads which easily go fast enough.

They say you can get liability but not "injury insurance"? So what happens if you run over a pedestrian and injure them? I am going to go back and talk with at least one of the agents that told me no before cause something doesn't sound right.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiminmexico Mon May 26, 2014 1:59 pm

Bob, the injury insurance I'm referring to is for the driver of the ATV. The liability is for the other person(s) & other vehicle(s)
kiminmexico
kiminmexico

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon May 26, 2014 2:06 pm

ATV with plates and insurance are legal.  Golf carts are much slower and may have a different status. They are only legal in town in Oregon cause they can't go faster than 35MPH so no highway use.  Maybe they have a close rule here due to the slower speed of golf carts. Many ATV have highway gears these days.

I found after looking at the golfcart/ATV thing that it was almost cheaper to buy a small used mini car down here like a NIssan Micra or Chevy spark and skip the ATV/Golf cart thing and you get a car you can go to the airport or coast and Yes it is slower than normal car but doable. (1.4L motor).

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 26, 2014 2:16 pm

kiminmexico wrote:Bob, the injury insurance I'm referring to is for the driver of the ATV. The liability is for the other person(s) & other vehicle(s)

Well that is great news then cause I always wanted one of those 4 seater quads to blast around in. Would be a great trip to the coast in one of these things.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon May 26, 2014 2:44 pm

jesus rides to the coast almost the whole distance off road with a group he belongs to. he's the only one in the group with insurance.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon May 26, 2014 2:49 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Well that is news to me since I was told a couple of years ago (by insurance agents) that you could not get insurance since they were not street legal. I still wonder why I don't then see a whole bunch of these things driving on the highways or any of the major city streets, particularly the large 4 seat quads which easily go fast enough.

They say you can get liability but not "injury insurance"? So what happens if you run over a pedestrian and injure them? I am going to go back and talk with at least one of the agents that told me no before cause something doesn't sound right.
see my post as to why your agents may have told you no but now that you have a history you might get a yes if the company he represents also insures quads for their regular customers. again,jesus says it ain't easy but it can be done.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Perhaps.....although I still have my doubts that the Federales and other transitos outside the lake area will see these as a street legal vehicle. At the Mud Fest just about every single one of them are brought in on truck or trailer. We know many Mexicans are not concerned about the insurance part so why wouldn't they all just ride them there from Guadalajara?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 26, 2014 4:28 pm

It would give me the heebee jeebees to ride one going back to GDL at night with all the drunks.

Back to top Go down

Post by kiminmexico Mon May 26, 2014 5:49 pm

I definitely wouldn't drive one even to Joco, never mind Guadalajara. Probably wouldn't go any further than Ajijic to Chapala.
kiminmexico
kiminmexico

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon May 26, 2014 10:57 pm

good for you kim but don't rule out jocotepec. i knew someone who lived in the raquet [sic] club i think or maybe roca azul, who used to ride all over including to one of our moto eventos in chapala who had severe ms and it was her only mode of transportation. she couldn't walk and had leg supports. the bikers treated her with great respect and helped her on and off her quad so that she could enjoy partying with us. before she had ms and moved here, she raced off road on a moto in california. if you go to jocotepec on a weekend you will see all kinds of kids riding on them including lots of girls.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed May 28, 2014 7:54 am

CanuckBob wrote:
kiminmexico wrote:Bob, the injury insurance I'm referring to is for the driver of the ATV. The liability is for the other person(s) & other vehicle(s)

Well that is great news then cause I always wanted one of those 4 seater quads to blast around in. Would be a great trip to the coast in one of these things.

Have you priced one of the larger ones? It was cheaper to buy a small car. I admit the fun factor would be very cool.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiminmexico Wed May 28, 2014 1:35 pm

The only ones I've even looked at are the Italikas that are sold at Wal Mart. They are a little small for 2 people. And, a little spendy at $26999 pesos. I think you can buy something very similar in Phoenix new for about $1300 USD. Not too sure about the quality & longevity of the Italikas though. I do know if you want to buy a Honda, Yamaha etc., you'll pay a lot more. If that was the case, I'd do something like Bob did. Bob's ride is very kewwwwwwwwl!!!!
kiminmexico
kiminmexico

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed May 28, 2014 11:29 pm

don't ever buy an italika-they are junk! check mercado libre fer a good used honda,yamaha,etc. it's already been imported so the duties have been paid and maybe it's even plated already...
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 29, 2014 7:49 am

Yes, I agree. It would be way better to get a quality ATV. Those Italika's rattle apart on the cobble stones. You should also check with the insurance agent (posted previously) who apparently supplies liability insurance to ensure that:

A) He will give you a policy, since he told Pedro it was difficult to get and not available to everyone.
B) The ATV you are buying qualifies for this insurance. Some ATV's have headlights, turn signals, etc. and others do not.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri May 30, 2014 7:40 am

Also stay away if you can from some of the Chinese scoots/ATV. Pretty much agreed spend the extra money for Yam/Honda/Suzuki/others.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum