INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bringing gold bullion into Mexico?

+7
ajijic10
Intercasa
hockables
johninajijic
CanuckBob
57Chevy
Mainecoons
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bringing gold bullion into Mexico? - Page 2 Empty Re: Bringing gold bullion into Mexico?

Post by Solovino Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:21 pm

I seem to recall MC giving all of us the definitive lecture on the housing bubble back in 2006 or 2007. Said there was going to be a brief adjustment and the housing market would rebound within 6 to 8 months. It would affect only certain areas of the country etc.

He'll be citing Lyndon LaRouche before you know it.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Bringing gold bullion into Mexico? - Page 2 Empty Re: Bringing gold bullion into Mexico?

Post by hound dog Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:37 pm

CanuckBob wrote:The best bet for "the financial apocolypse" is to have a nice little place in sunny, warm Mexico all paid for. Get off the grid as much as possible (solar power, generators, etc.). Then you can raise your chickens and grow your own food in your back garden and not have to rely on anyone........Can't do that in Canada. You'll freeze and starve to death.

Precisely the reason we moved here CB. Here, as long as there is no insurrection followed by general disorder and anarchy, we have a roof over our heads in a place with an equable climate where we can, if necessary, live without electricity and gas and live off of the fruits of our garden and the gardens of others nearby. Gold and other "precious" metals are the assets of the vain and uncomprehending. The guy down the road´s carrots have more value in exchange for my chickens or rabbits that Scrooge McDuck with his vaults full of inedible filthy lucre. Gold or other precious metals or currencies issued by fallible governments are only valuable when there is an excess of goods and services available to be exchanged with others. Thus the old saying that money is an asset that only has value if shared. Civility is defined by the notion that there is an excess of wealth available for exchange. Without that, gold not only has no value but its "ownership" is either valueless or a liability

Anyone hereabouts remember Hank Williams Junior´s old song "A Country Boy Will Survive"?

" I can plow a field all day and can catch catfish from dusk to dawn
We make our own whiskey and our own smoke too
Ain´t many things these ole boys cain´t do
You cain´t starve us out and you cain´t make us run...."

And there you sit with your pot of gold which you can´t eat and can´t drink. Who is the fool here?

We have met and befriended so many indigenous folks in Chiapas since we moved there in 2006 who are considered by others to be dirt poor and miserable living on the food they raised on their own small milpas plus that of neighbors exchanged as barter without a dime ever changing hands but if things go south they will be here living at a subsistence level and we´lll be six feet under or carrion for buzzards.

Last edited by hound dog on Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:46 pm

When the $hit hits the fan, the people who will be good off will have property and potable water and the weapons to protect it and the ability to grow and have food, all else really isn't relevant as food and water will be the currency and weapons will protect you.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:56 pm

Intercasa wrote:When the $hit hits the fan, the people who will be good off will have property and potable water and the weapons to protect it and the ability to grow and have food, all else really isn't relevant as food and water will be the currency and weapons will protect you.

Well said, Spencer. But, on the other hand, one can fly up to Kansas City to claim that gold in the vaults up there in which one retains an ownership right by virtue of that gold certificate. Better still, forget flying, catch the next turnip truck heading north and at least one will have people of one´s intellectual bent with whom to discuss the notion of what went wrong when one had it planned up to the moment they dug one´s plot.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:03 pm

Where are you going to get your water? Will you be hand digging your own wells? Yeah right.

You will have to run a gauntlet to the lake and back for, if you are lucky, enough to keep you from dying of thirst let alone irrigating your gardens of eden.

Water will be the main currency and the cartels that control it in an economic doomsday will make the drug cartels look like Father Flanagan's Boys Town.

Life isn't a reality show.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:29 pm

Solovino wrote:Where are you going to get your water? Will you be hand digging your own wells? Yeah right.

You will have to run a gauntlet to the lake and back for, if you are lucky, enough to keep you from dying of thirst let alone irrigating your gardens of eden.

Water will be the main currency and the cartels that control it in an economic doomsday will make the drug cartels look like Father Flanagan's Boys Town.

Life isn't a reality show.

Dawg is reminded of the 1986 movie Manon des Source in which one young woman (and I am oversimplifying here) cut off the only source of water to an entire ancient village and brought all to heel when she was the only one who could re-supply water to an otherwise devastated community. In a time of abundance for most we forget the fundamentals. Without water or corn or wheat or rice or other essentials to life, gold and silver and stately bank buildings and fatuous electronic discourse are folly.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:28 pm

A lot of the properties I have seen listed around the lake advertise that they already have wells. No? At the end of the day I am mainly referring to financial meltdown similar to the great depression not an apocalyptic world wide scourge......

I was already pretty close to being self sufficient up here at one time. I had a 5 acre hobby farm with its own well, septic field and back-up generator. I had a few hens, goats, pigs, cows, etc. I just needed a solar set-up and viola. Unfortunaley it wasn't paid off......curses.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:42 pm

GOLD in 1982 hit $1200.00 an ounce under Regan... later to plounge to 450.00
see: smarter people... perhaps they are the ones selling the gold...

just say'n is all....
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:17 am

Yes, that was the idea to have some other form of exchange if there was a general fiscal meltdown in the U.S. I don't think it a good idea to hold gold there given the precedent of FDR confiscating gold held in personal hands. I was considering buying and storing some here as a backup. Hardly a crazy idea, most of the really rich people in the world do this.

Not easy to pose a simple question on this board and get a civil answer or discussion without a lot of personal attack and irrelevant BS. Canuck, you may want to consider the fate of similar boards who allow the nasty folks like ajijic10 and solovino to dominate them.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:17 am

Mainecoons wrote:More "wisdom" from the non-resident.

Yes, that was the idea to have some other form of exchange if there was a general fiscal meltdown in the U.S. I don't think it a good idea to hold gold there given the precedent of FDR confiscating gold held in personal hands. I was considering buying and storing some here as a backup. Hardly a crazy idea, most of the really rich people in the world do this.

Not easy to pose a simple question on this board and get a civil answer or discussion without a lot of personal attack and irrelevant BS. Canuck, you may want to consider the fate of similar boards who allow the nasty folks like ajijic10 and solovino to dominate them.

Well, Canuck Bob, I guess all is perception and mine differs from MC´s. I went back and read all the posts on this thread and found the discussion to be civil and without rancor. Perhaps the worst offender was Dawg who inserted the unfortunate word "moron" in a post not referring to anyone in particular and the moderator deleted that word which was the appropriate thing to do.

As to gold being one of the few things that retained value in WW11, gold has no value if there is nothing to buy. Cats have value and that´s why they all disappeared in Paris during the war. If you ever buy a rabbit at the market in in France you will note that the carcass still has its rabbit ears attached just so you´ll know the butcher is not selling you a dead cat. I understand, hunger being the best sauce, that sauteed cat is not so bad actually when enjoyed with that fine vintage wine you are hiding from the Germans.

Last edited by hound dog on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:30 am

Mainecoons wrote:Not easy to pose a simple question on this board and get a civil answer or discussion without a lot of personal attack and irrelevant BS. Canuck, you may want to consider the fate of similar boards who allow the nasty folks like ajijic10 and solovino to dominate them.

Unfortunately, just about every member here is guilty of one transgression or another including myself. We have only asked two people to leave here since we started. Ajijic10 and Solo do add value some of the time if you edit out the crap that goes with it. I do agree that many posts get wrecked by inappropriate or off topic responses. We are going to do a better job of editing and deleting that stuff or moving it to the Octagon where it belongs.

Beer
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:43 am

Well dog, how would you know a civil discussion, particularly when in this case you were one of the folks that couldn't either answer a simple questiion or leave it alone?

LOL
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:09 pm

Mainecoons wrote: More "wisdom" from the non-resident.

non-resident???? Somebody must have clued you in on that pearl of wisdom. You need to be quick though. Somebody else quotes your post and you're out of luck with the edit button.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:43 pm

Regarding WATER: It would be great to find a property with a well, but what about rain water harvesting? Chapala area gets plenty of rain during the rainy season. There are systems that are easy enough to build. An above ground, or below ground, cistern, with a system to collect and filter the rain water. (Just like farmers used to do in the U.S.) Solovino may have practical suggestions here as he is in the building trade. Dimensions, foundation needed for the weight, materials to be used to hold water and not leach into it...all of that. I have a friend in Ajijic who is almost off the grid. Doing the rain water harvest is her next step. I forget the dimensions of the cistern she plans on building...not that big, will fit in her yard...and will hold enough water to live on for at least a year. She's got solar running her electric, chickens, goats, and a garden. I agree with Bob that being self-sufficient and off the grid, able to provide yourself with food, water, and power...is the best bet in the event of a melt-down. It is true, if there is nothing to buy, gold is useless.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2