INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

La Taverna

+6
gringal
Calgary Native
hockables
David
itsme
simpsca
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

La Taverna Empty La Taverna

Post by simpsca Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:43 pm

La Taverna is one of my favorite restaurants. It is in West Ajijic in a strip plaza on the south side of the highway (same strip mall as the furniture stores and just before Haciendas Steak House). It is owned by Italians and all their pastas are home made there including ravioli. It is some of the best Italian food I have ever had and I lived in NYC. They serve every meal with a small basket of home made flat bread.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

La Taverna Empty Re: La Taverna

Post by itsme Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:11 pm

I was there a few weeks ago on a Friday and had the absolutely worst meal of any type in my life! The food was soo salty I could not eat it. All I had was spaghetti and sausages. I took the sausages home for the dogs, (washed them off first) I do have to say neither one of the owners were there. I was born in NYC, I do know italian food well. This was awful. Sorry.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:42 pm

Italians from ITALY know their regional Italian food. Please don't start that stuff. John, the eponimous restaurant reviewer on Crapola.com, loves to say "I'm from Boston so I know Italian food." Now John has never been to Italy and if you have you know that there's no one simple definition of "Italian food." You know what you like and what you're accustomed to and that's fine. But unless and until you've been all over Italy you DON'T KNOW Italian cuisine. We love La Taverna. The owners are an Italian man and his Mexican wife. Usually all is well but when they're not there it's a toss-up.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:56 pm

In reading various restaurant reviews, I find this to be the most controversial restaurant in Ajijic. People either love it or hate it. I think the food is great, but the attitude sucks. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:08 pm

Zoey, do you mean the attitude on this board? I have to agree if that is what you mean. I also love the food and the service is great.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:21 pm

simpsca wrote:Zoey, do you mean the attitude on this board? I have to agree if that is what you mean. I also love the food and the service is great.

Funny comment, but I was referring to the attitude of the owner, if one has issues. To me, he seems arrogant, but I welcome your opinion and your experiences, They are just different from mine. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:52 pm

Oh my.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by itsme Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:02 pm

And it STILL was extremely salty, whether Italian, Chinese or Russian. I merely stated I was from NY as Simpsca had used that fact about him/herself to establish what a gormand he/she is. It really makes no difference where one is from, salty is salty, unedible is unedible. Sorry.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Well I don't profess to be an expert on Italian Food or anything else for that matter... but I do know what I like :)... we have had a few different meals at La Taverna and always enjoyed ourselves... food, wine & service were all good!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:01 am

I am not a gormand, just lived in NYC 20 years and ate in little Italy a lot. I don't know how La Taverna compares to food in the real Italy. Just saying I've had a lot of Italian food and I like La Taverna, especially the home made pasta. I have friends who do not like the restaurant and some say it's their favorite. Too salty is not good - they do have some "helpers and cooks" in the kitchen now, and I find the food is not always up to their standard as when the owners are there. But it is one of the few places you can get home made pasta, not the stuff in a box or bag.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Calgary Native Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:52 am

I have been to La Taverna on two separate occassions and was dissapointed on both times with the food and service. With so many othe great restaruants in the area I have no need to go back.

Calgary Native

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:23 am

I've heard that before. Win some, lose some I guess. It's always been good for us.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:29 am

Nice pic, David.
I think it's true of most restaurants when the "helpers" are in the kitchen. That's the trouble with owning a restaurant. If the owner isn't there watching, things can go amok.
I've only been to the place once. Had a disappointing pizza and switched loyalties to La Toscana. Now they've gone downhilll drastically......not the good cheese or toppings they used to have. Where's a good pizza to be had anymore? (not in Italy, for sure).
Ah, the one good thing I remember about Los Angeles........great pizza.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:41 pm

We like the pizza at Pepe & Aurora, west of La Huerta opposite Pet Care. He makes only one size, we get two and have leftovers. Our #2 choice is Trattoria.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:49 pm

The location is not ringing a bell. What street?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:12 pm

Incomplete post deleted.

Last edited by David on Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:35 pm

Go past Rancho del Oro and Plaza La Huerta until you come to the Roosevelt School on your left, you'll see Pepe & Aurora's sign on the right. Good place, good lunch and dinner too. A neighbor says they have the "best" Fish & Chips. Open Monday thru Saturday.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:20 pm

David wrote:We like the pizza at Pepe & Aurora, west of La Huerta opposite Pet Care. He makes only one size, we get two and have leftovers. Our #2 choice is Trattoria.

I agree with you on both and in the same order as you stated. Just make sure you double check your bill at Pepe's. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:29 pm

La Vida Bella in the Raquest Club has good pizza. Very thin crust and any type of tipping you want. He is getting pricey though. Last time I had it a pepperoni pizza was 95 pesos.

I just had a really good pizza yesterday at La Cigale, Italian/Mediterranean 387-763-2396
Days and Hours:
Wed, Thurs, Sunday...2 pm to 8 pm
Fri & Sat........................2 pm to 10 pm for us late eaters

There is no atmosphere but there are tables inside and out - this is real brick oven pizza, thin crust, larger than La Vida Bella and I had a pepperoni mushroom pizza for 89 pesos. Beer was cheap - 12 or 15 pesos I think. It's a long drive though unless you live out west. It's near the end of the highway in Jocotopec just before you turn onto the road to Guadalajara.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:45 pm

itsme wrote:I was there a few weeks ago on a Friday and had the absolutely worst meal of any type in my life! The food was soo salty I could not eat it. All I had was spaghetti and sausages. I took the sausages home for the dogs, (washed them off first) I do have to say neither one of the owners were there. I was born in NYC, I do know italian food well. This was awful. Sorry.

Do not tell me that that "itsme" is "John in Ajijic" AKA Chef BoyArDee, the resident curmudgeon and expert on all things over at Crapola.Com who has decided to grace this board with his extraordinary wisdom.

Concerning La Taverna, we used to go there often and found the family that owns the place amusing but the food was simply too inconsistent. Sometimes very good but more often mediocre to really bad. Too bad since I like the owners and they have shown occasional talent but now there are far more choices in West Ajijic so we lost interest in the gamble.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by itsme Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:49 pm

You are insulting me in more ways than one.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:54 pm

I believe "itsme" is not John.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:28 pm

Didn't sound like John. He'd go on about taking a group there and what, exactly, they all had to eat. And so on, and on.

Also, "itsme" said something about being from New York, and John says he's from Boston.

Give the newbie a break!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:56 pm

itsme wrote:You are insulting me in more ways than one.

Forgive me, itsme. I was misled by another poster´s remarks which I thought inferred you were Chef BoyArDee. In no way did I mean to imply you were that person nor did I gather that notion from your writing style.

The Dawg is contrite.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:27 pm

Never the less, we're happy you're here!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: