INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TOWER vs. LAPTOP

+10
Axixic
ferret
juanrey
Rolly
CheenaGringo
CanuckBob
sparks
Charliej
papa chango
Jim W
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

TOWER vs. LAPTOP Empty TOWER vs. LAPTOP

Post by Jim W Sun May 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Can anyone tell us why we might need a tower? NOB, I have my laptop, with far more memory than my tower, newer software connected to wireless router, wireless printer fax, etc.?

My previous GURU, came in at my request to speed up my tower and upgrade it, and did it, with pirated software, so I can't get updates, at a cost more than double my HP Pavillion Notebook with Windows 8. I know it is buyer beware!

So, why buy a tower and what are the advantages?

Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

TOWER vs. LAPTOP Empty Re: TOWER vs. LAPTOP

Post by papa chango Sun May 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Forget the tower. Old technology. Get a good smartphone instead.

smash comp
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wit and sarcasm Cheech and Chong

http://lakechapalaexpat.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliej Sun May 05, 2013 5:39 pm

I wouldn't say to forget the tower in favor of a smartphone. I have a tower, a laptop, a tablet and a smartphone. Each has its place if you are serious about computing. The smartphone is small enough to stick in my pocket and go anywhere. It is useful for anything where size matters most. It can not replace any type of "real" computer. The tablet is mostly used as an e-book reader. A tablet is basically just a large smartphone, without the phone. The laptop is for "real" computing away from my desk. The tower has a very large hard drive and paired with the server, is used for long term storage of business information, as well as any data that I want to be sure of. The tower is permanently hooked to a scanner/printer for any printing or scanning that needs to be done. If I had to give up all but one computer, I would keep the tower. Your mileage may vary.
Charliej
Charliej
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun May 05, 2013 5:41 pm

Charliej wrote:I wouldn't say to forget the tower in favor of a smartphone. I have a tower, a laptop, a tablet and a smartphone. Each has its place if you are serious about computing. The smartphone is small enough to stick in my pocket and go anywhere. It is useful for anything where size matters most. It can not replace any type of "real" computer. The tablet is mostly used as an e-book reader. A tablet is basically just a large smartphone, without the phone. The laptop is for "real" computing away from my desk. The tower has a very large hard drive and paired with the server, is used for long term storage of business information, as well as any data that I want to be sure of. The tower is permanently hooked to a scanner/printer for any printing or scanning that needs to be done. If I had to give up all but one computer, I would keep the tower. Your mileage may vary.

Charliej, Now must disagree, tower has less usable drive..... and I will now dump my tower........gotta say I wasted 8000 pesos on a rebuild....I get more from my laptop, long term....just me speakin....Question for tower nerds, How much does it cost for current software? Far more than the $400 I spend on a new lap top>
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sun May 05, 2013 5:49 pm

With a new tower you can get anything you want

With a laptop ... only with external keyboard, mouse, speakers and maybe a flatscreen.

Tower 2 years ago at Laguna Net ... 6k peso w/everything
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun May 05, 2013 6:18 pm

sparks wrote:With a new tower you can get anything you want

With a laptop ... only with external keyboard, mouse, speakers and maybe a flatscreen.

Tower 2 years ago at Laguna Net ... 6k peso w/everything

Sparks, what is everything I want? As in the words of life ...give me dial tone! LMAO....wtf am I getting over and above?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliej Sun May 05, 2013 6:45 pm

Why would you pay for software? I run Linux for the laptop and tower and server. Cost is zero. Any programs that I need, can be downloaded for free from the Linux provider. I use the Ubuntu version of Linux. It is easy to install and much more reliable than any version of Windows. It is also backwards compatible with the older versions, so I don't have to get new versions of software whenever I update the operating system. Linux also runs faster than windows on an older, less capable computer, so you do not have to buy new hardware as often. Linux is the operating system that runs under Android. If you have a smartphone that is not an iPhone, it is probably running a version of Android. I got away from Windows years ago. The frustrations of dealing with Microsoft were too much for me. Linux is also untouched by most computer viruses.
Charliej
Charliej
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun May 05, 2013 6:49 pm

I haven't owned a tower for 10 years. I see no reason to ever have one again. The laptops now a days have just as much power as the towers. If you want a bigger screen, bigger keyboard or extra drives just plug in as externals. I do use an external keyboard when I am building websites as I can navigate on it easier. My 17 inch laptop screen is plenty big enough.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by papa chango Sun May 05, 2013 6:54 pm

My last tower cost me over $5,000 USD. It was a top-of-the-line gaming machine. I haven't used it in about 4 years. My top of the line VAIO laptop is only used to backup my smartphone and to show movies on my wide screen TV if I want. I use my smartphone for everything and I can carry it in my pocket.

What is next? Maybe Google glasses but I don't think I'll go that route.

Dead Horse
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wit and sarcasm Cheech and Chong

http://lakechapalaexpat.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliej Sun May 05, 2013 6:58 pm

When I was working as a technician, I would have killed for something like Google glass. The ability to look at a schematic diagram without turning my head away from the circuit board would have been a godsend.
Charliej
Charliej
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun May 05, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks CB, I rest my point for the average computer user, A TOWER IS A WASTE OF MONEY! Only a money maker for repair DUDES! Just making my point for us guys, computer is a means of communication...photos or email....nothing more! Kinda like a telephone!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun May 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Towers are actually cheaper than similarly powered laptops however you certainly don't need both.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun May 05, 2013 7:08 pm

Jim:

Believe it or not, there are a great number of additional uses for a computer (desktop or laptop) over and above what you have listed! For what you appear to be looking to accomplish, tablets or even smartphones would probably work?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun May 05, 2013 7:31 pm

Guys I am computer el stupito ......Just splainin how frustrating the tech world is.....My world says, buy a lap top and plan on replacing every 2-4 years......just sayin.

Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Sun May 05, 2013 7:33 pm

When my tower reached the end of it's useful life, I chose a laptop that was more powerful than the tower. I went the laptop route for several reasons, not the least of which is it can come into MĂ©xico duty free. I have added a large external screen and a fullsize keyboard because of my failing eyesight.
If I were still in business, I would likely have a tower.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun May 05, 2013 7:56 pm

Rolly, Why? A tower?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Sun May 05, 2013 8:07 pm

A tower can be useful if you are doing something that requires heavy duty computing and lots of memory. Like video editing / rendering.
For probably 90% of users a laptop is more than sufficient.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun May 05, 2013 8:21 pm

Thanks Juan, I know my laptop is faster than my tower, and I wasted 8000 pesos up grading the thing, only to discover I could buy a faster laptop, with current software, for 1/2 the money!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun May 05, 2013 9:13 pm

I loved all my towers but laptops have come a loooong way. This is my first and I bought it four years ago. It has everything I need and then some.
About the only thing that is a downside to it, is that it is much more easily stolen...not so with a tower. And, you're more likely to drop a laptop than a tower. I'm happy...YMMV.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun May 05, 2013 9:43 pm

Jim:

I challenge you to find a "one size fits all piece of clothing" that actually does so. Same goes for computers and they change more frequently than a golf club, a golf ball or that fancy shirtor pair of pants you would wear to look just right!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun May 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Pretty much the same thing as discussing the relative merits of cars and bicycles. Each has their uses; it depends upon your needs.

I have a tower, a laptop, a tablet, and a smartphone. If I had to I could do without the laptop and the tablet.

One of the things I do is hard-disk audio recording and for this I need the higher RPM drives available for towers but not commonly available for laptops. With the advent of solid state drives, I suppose that could become moot.

I need the expandability of a tower - multiple I/O soundcards, not available for laptops. Advanced graphics cards for video - the gaming cards don't cut it. Also, backwards compatibility (try finding a modern laptop with Firewire I/O) - simple addition of a card to my tower and I can use the external drive and DV-tape video cameras that I own.

The ability to mount multiple drives in the tower is a definite plus over a laptop - the throughput of USB3 to an external drive is limiting.

Because I can use my tower for these things my demands on my laptop are quite modest - surfing, email, etc. so I manage to get away with an older, less current model laptop.

It all comes down to the user and what their needs are - towers are essential for some, completely useless for others.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun May 05, 2013 11:37 pm

I'd have to agree with those that say each type has their own distinct advantages. With the work I do, a minimum 22" screen and vast amounts of storage space are a necessity. I've also now got USB3 in my tower, which is still way more expensive in a laptop, and a couple of external USB hard drives... file transfer speed is WAY faster than before.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon May 06, 2013 8:04 am

Actually the replacement for the desktop/tower is an All in one with wireless
and card slots. It looks good no cables with wireless network,mouse and
keyboard. It can sit in the living room and look good. Good wife acceptance
factor. Big screen. Now I wouldn't say its a geeks machine but it makes for
most people a great machine. Don't buy cheap AIO's. Local support people
report more trouble than more expensive AIO's. You can also get touch on
the newer ones. We have three machines in the house and my wife and I
always go for the AIO.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon May 06, 2013 8:12 am

My only problem with AIOs is the repair difficulties. Most of them are designed like towers used to: almost impossible to get parts replaced unless you are factory-trained.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon May 06, 2013 8:59 am

HelperGuy wrote:My only problem with AIOs is the repair difficulties. Most of them are designed like towers used to: almost impossible to get parts replaced unless you are factory-trained.

My last six computers including an early Compaq Centrino equipped tablet that is ancient never broke. I don't buy cheap ones if that is the difference. I have a manual that tells you how to take it apart and replace pieces and add cards and memory. I replace hard drives before
they fail usually with an upgrade and that's about it maint wise. Buy a better computer than the bottom end ones.
Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next