INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Restaurants for our picky eater guest

+5
CheenaGringo
gringal
joec
E-raq
hkrause
9 posters

Go down

Restaurants for our picky eater guest Empty Restaurants for our picky eater guest

Post by hkrause Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:03 am

Have company coming over Thanksgiving, and feeding her will be a challenge. She has a VERY limited list of foods she'll eat... don't know how somebody could grow to adulthood eating only these things, but she managed. So we're looking for restaurants that will have the following. We've found some, but recommendations appreciated.

Pasta with ONLY butter and maybe some garlic
Grilled cheese sandwich (think "ordinary" and nothing gourmet or fancy)
McD's style french fries (forget skin-on fresh cut or "seasoned" in any way)
Mac & cheese (Kraft from a box is considered "ideal")
Good salads, especially Caesar with GOOD croutons
Baked potato (a big meal-size russet with lots of butter & sour cream)
Bagels
Breakfast place that will cook bacon until it crumbles at the touch

Thanks for the assist with this quest!

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Restaurants for our picky eater guest Empty Re: Restaurants for our picky eater guest

Post by E-raq Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:06 am

Geez Heather sounds like two of our grandkids when they were young. I was really worried, but Moms know best, so we just let it go. After they got to about 7 they started eating everything in sight. DIL was right.

Here's what we did. Almost any restaurant will cook you up some pasta, and add butter.
McD french fries, buy the frozen skinny ones in Costco.
Make the caesar salad yourself, or just go to a restaurant that makes a good one.

The Nueva Posada is very accommodating.

E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Restaurants for our picky eater guest Empty Re: Restaurants for our picky eater guest

Post by joec Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:47 am

I would have to wonder what kind of health these people are in after eating the foods described above.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:08 am

joec wrote:I would have to wonder what kind of health these people are in after eating the foods described above.

For what it's worth.........some of those folks will outlive the rest of us. Who knows why?
I'm sure glad it isn't my guest!!!
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:26 am

We don't mind the entertaining challenge, and are happy to have her visiting for 10 days (our first visitor since moving here!). Yes, we can make some stuff at home and will do so... I've already bought some Kraft Mac & Cheese and stuff for grilled cheese. But we plan to be out and about quite a bit and wanted to know which places we can stop by for comida, that will have something she likes.

John, she's in better health than me, eating a "regular" American diet all those years! Maybe it's because she also eats ice cream for desert and drinks heavily!

Beer

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:30 am

I guess I could understand a person with serious food allergies making a big deal as it is something that we attempt to pay attention to when inviting people to a party or when choosing restaurants to take guests to. We even try to accommodate practicing vegans. However, if this person is a mature adult, I would have to say that with them being an over the top picky eater, it is something that they need to deal with and not impose their problems on others. This person would have problems NOB or virtually anywhere and maybe they need to consider growing up? I cannot even imagine being in a relationship or married to such a person.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:03 am

CheenaGringo, I didn't mention that she loves fried shrimp and eats scrambled eggs, both of which we already know where to get. Actually the shrimp thing makes it fairly easy to feed her since so many places here have it on the menu.

It's my husband's sister who's visiting, and we're very used to her food issues, so we don't mind (and so happy to have her here!). There are enough places Lakeside that have things she'll enjoy, and we'll have menu choices as well. But since we're fairly new to the area, we haven't had a chance to seek out everything on her list. Just wanted to have some ideas for a few target locations.

Thanks.
Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:19 am

Heather:

I was under the impression that your first list was the whole list. It would be my guess that your husband's sister may have learned to pick out items that work from most any Continental style menu but I don't think I would be daring enough to attempt it at a restaurant that was strictly Mexican. I would think that Yves, Tango, Roberto's, Tony's, Los Telares, Nuevo Posada, Panino and probably a few others we haven't been to in recent years may just work.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:31 am

Grandkids visiting? Sounds like my kids when they were young.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:58 am

Thanks, CheenaGringo. Good list, and I'm sure we'll be able to eat out with her at a variety of places. Sorry if I confused things with the original list... we were just looking for places to get specific items we either hadn't found, or only knew of one place to get (hoping there might be others).

We have a good enough group of potential restaurants now that everybody in our group will be happy! Appreciate everybody's help.

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:38 am

Good salads at Angelica's pasta east of Super Lake.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:44 am

Carry Bean wrote:Good salads at Angelica's pasta east of Super Lake.

Hound Dog raves about their salads. Their pasta dishes are excellent too.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:50 am

I'd guess that the cook at Angelica's would make that pasta she wants, and people rave about the salads.
Doesn't Bruno's have the russets?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:55 am

Heather,
Tony’s has great McD style fries and if I’m correct they also serve shrimp. It might be a possibility. Even though it states on the menu choose two sides; baked potatoes, French fries or vegetables, you need to tell them French Fries or they automatically give you baked and veggies. And if you just state French fries, that’s all you’ll get. We go often for the ribs and over time have learned this.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:26 pm

hkrause wrote:CheenaGringo, I didn't mention that she loves fried shrimp and eats scrambled eggs, both of which we already know where to get. Actually the shrimp thing makes it fairly easy to feed her since so many places here have it on the menu.

It's my husband's sister who's visiting, and we're very used to her food issues, so we don't mind (and so happy to have her here!). There are enough places Lakeside that have things she'll enjoy, and we'll have menu choices as well. But since we're fairly new to the area, we haven't had a chance to seek out everything on her list. Just wanted to have some ideas for a few target locations.

Thanks.
Heather

Go to Ricki's Japanese and Thai restaurant on Marcellos Castellanos, for the best shrimp tempura in town, best I've had anywhere. 6 jumbo shrimp for 55 pesos. NO GREASE. They have the best salad intown, enough for two people: Romaine lettuce, spinach, cucumber, tomatos, pepper, avocado and red onion. I eat it myself although it can be shared easily. 42 pesos.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks, John. We tried Ricki's the other day for the first time. Totally agree on the tempura, and the tempura sauce was good, too. We'll be going back!

I appreciate all the great input here. Looks like we have enough places to take her that I shouldn't have to cook for the entire visit (which is a good thing for me and any guests we try to feed!). :)

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Rikki's is a must, could not agree more. Good luck, we've been there too. Not a huge problem. As for me, I love kraft dinner, another of my horrible secrets. I could easily live on that, however big guy won't hear of it. I still have 6 packages in the cupboard. Just in case.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:40 pm

E-raq, know what you mean! Hubby won't eat it either. I will often add a can of drained tuna and some peas to make it a meal. :)

hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:18 am

Just got a hankering for Mom's good old tuna casserole, but with real cheese and a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup in the mix. Just tape it to my thighs.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down