INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On Which Streets Do You have "Right of Way" North - South or East - West?

+7
seisdedos
Rolly
Rosa Venus
Big Daddy Mexico
brigitte
viajero
johninajijic
11 posters

Go down

On Which Streets Do You have "Right of Way" North - South or East - West? Empty On Which Streets Do You have "Right of Way" North - South or East - West?

Post by johninajijic Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:36 pm

Big Daddy's post reminded me to bring this up.

When you are travelling in the village on which streets do you have the right of way, meaning North - South or East - West? Is there any Mexican law for this?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

On Which Streets Do You have "Right of Way" North - South or East - West? Empty Re: On Which Streets Do You have "Right of Way" North - South or East - West?

Post by viajero Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Just look for the stop sign.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

On Which Streets Do You have "Right of Way" North - South or East - West? Empty Re: On Which Streets Do You have "Right of Way" North - South or East - West?

Post by brigitte Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:48 pm

east west but I would not trust it.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:52 pm

Copied from ehow:

Mexican law does not have an explicit right of way law, whether it be for cars or pedestrians. In order to avoid accidents, yield when encountering other traffic. Wait to go until it is safe for you. Turn signals are also often overlooked in Mexico, which can cause a lot of confusion for foreign drivers. The best way to keep from getting into an accident is to drive defensively.

Read more: Mexican Driving Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6019025_mexican-driving-laws.html#ixzz21sUxD5xd
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:20 pm

east/west....in theory. Or so I'm told.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:45 pm

Big Daddy Mexico wrote:Copied from ehow:

Mexican law does not have an explicit right of way law, whether it be for cars or pedestrians. In order to avoid accidents, yield when encountering other traffic. Wait to go until it is safe for you. Turn signals are also often overlooked in Mexico, which can cause a lot of confusion for foreign drivers. The best way to keep from getting into an accident is to drive defensively.

Read more: Mexican Driving Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6019025_mexican-driving-laws.html#ixzz21sUxD5xd
This information is very misleading. Except for speed limits on the tolls roads, there are no national traffic laws. But the states and cities do indeed have traffic laws. And police to enforce them.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:48 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:east/west....in theory. Or so I'm told.
Generally speaking yes but there are tons of exceptions,best to look both ways and proceed with caution.
When I first moved to Guadalajara I asked a friend about the absence of stop signs,he said that they tried them once but people would take them and make comales out of them,don't know if he was joking but it sounds plausible.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:55 pm

johninajijic wrote:
When you are travelling in the village ....

I was just talking about our little center of the universe given the original question.

All still pure theory, of course. Even here. It's just bumper cars.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Rolly wrote:
Big Daddy Mexico wrote:Copied from ehow:

This information is very misleading. Except for speed limits on the tolls roads, there are no national traffic laws. But the states and cities do indeed have traffic laws. And police to enforce them.

Which part is misleading. Maybe you should reread my quote from ehow. It seems to say exactly what you just said.
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:25 pm

"Mexican law does not have an explicit right of way law, whether it be for cars or pedestrians."

State and local laws do cover this.

Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:46 pm

The eHow article is full of bunk. Especially about paying the ticket on the spot or at an ATM. Was the author writing this tongue in cheek? Being sarcastic maybe? You don't pay the ticket on the spot. You pay the cop to not write the ticket on the spot.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:46 pm

seisdedos quote - "You pay the cop to not write the ticket on the spot."

Do you mean you should pay mordida?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:12 am

I've been told that there are three basic traffic laws here:

1. He who is in front, wins.
2. Might makes right--the bigger they are the harder you fall.
3. Only the paranoid survive.

Very Happy
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:37 am

Just treat all unmarked intersections as if they were 4 way stop signs. Make eye contact with other drivers at the intersection before proceeding.
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:57 pm

Can anyone name a country, state, province, city, town or village where any documented laws on right of way are understood and followed by more than 50% of the drivers? If my assumption is correct, then you will have a greater than 1 in 2 that the driver entering the same intersection as you will ignore all concepts of right of way. Personally, I assume no one knows them and therefore they all have the right of way ahead of me. I have no intention of proving that I am right from a hospital gurney or a casket!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:10 pm

I never assume I have the right of way. A few days ago driving into Cihuatlan some guy started passing three cars making me (in opposite direction) have to almost swerve onto the shoulder to avoid him. I gave him a 'what the f*uck' wave as we passed and he honked twice .... a thank you maybe?
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:38 pm

Neil
The answer to your question is France. Everyone there knows the rightaway laws. The roads are marked, all major roads have the rightaway unless marked otherwise and if two similar roads cross, the person on the right as the rightaway. People on your right have the righaway in roundabouts and you are in the wrong if your rearend a vehicule. End of subject.
I can assure you that a whole lot more than 50 % of the people know the rule and respect it and if not the fines are very big and you get points against your drivers license. Even after all that time away from France still have that one in my head,
Life is not what is used to be over there.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Brigitte:

It is positive to hear that there exists at least one country where the concept is understood! Even with that knowledge, I would probably be inclined to follow my instincts and not press the issue since that concept has served me well for so many years.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down