INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trailering Goods Down

+13
David
PoCo2012
merry
Ezzie
slainte39
CheenaGringo
manymoonsago
hockables
drmike
ferret
Mainecoons
Intercasa
mrum
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Trailering Goods Down Empty Trailering Goods Down

Post by mrum Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Has anyone pulled a trailer of some of their items down with them rather than shipping them with a mover? Can this be done if you are coming down on the FMM visa with the intent of switching to the FM3 when down there? I am not talking about a big load, maybe just a small 4X8 trailer, almost too small a load for a mover. Thanks.
mrum
mrum
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Collingwood, Ontario in the summer, anywhere else in the winter
Humor : John Candy, George Carlin, MacKenzie Brothers

Back to top Go down

Trailering Goods Down Empty Re: Trailering Goods Down

Post by Intercasa Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:49 pm

From my clients experience, it seems to always be easier to go to the border and see if you get a green light or nice agent as people who have obtained FM3s and the menaje de casa have told me nightmare stories about trying to get their permission and being held up for many hours at the border and even then having to pay after endless paperwork prior to the trip in attempts to avoid hassles. If you are not bringing down valuables or new goods it may be worth a try.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:06 am

Yes and don't cross at Laredo as they are tougher there.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:15 am

I think it's a crap shoot as to whether you get in or not. We came down with a large van that was STUFFED to the gills and included electronics, kitchen stuff and a desktop computer and gear. We crossed at Laredo on a tourist visa. We did get the red light and we did get pulled over...the guy took one look inside, closed the doors and said carry on...guess it was just too much trouble too early in the day to check everything.
I would look into getting some cheap storage in Laredo just in case you get turned back.
Also, don't try crossing close to Valentine's Day, Mother's Day or Christmas...if you get my drift.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:33 pm

We moved to our house in Toluca pulling an 8X12 trailer stuffed to the gills. We had an agent in Nogales, whom we had spoken with previously. We went to his office with our Manaje de casa and within a couple of hours he had all the paperwork ready. When we crossed the border we had to pull over to be inspected by the Mexican Customs, then we were cleared to go.

The only surprise was on the cuotas where as they charged us the higher fee for having an extra axle. We weren't thinking they'd do that. So our cost were significantly higher than we'd planned. Going through the city and villages was no problem.
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mrum Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:30 pm

A followup question. For those that trailered down, if you came through Laredo, our probable point of crossing, did you go all the way to Ajijic in one day or did you do a two day trip? If you did two days, where was the stopover and did you feel the trailer was secure where you stopped?
mrum
mrum
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Collingwood, Ontario in the summer, anywhere else in the winter
Humor : John Candy, George Carlin, MacKenzie Brothers

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:03 pm

mrum wrote:A followup question. For those that trailered down, if you came through Laredo, our probable point of crossing, did you go all the way to Ajijic in one day or did you do a two day trip? If you did two days, where was the stopover and did you feel the trailer was secure where you stopped?

I hate when U come out in the Morning and the Trailer is Gone....

U might want to invest $10 in a chain & padlock
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by manymoonsago Tue May 29, 2012 11:59 pm

To reach Ajijic in one day from Laredo would require that you drive at night - something that is not recommended for many reasons. The website of the US Consulate in GDL has a fairly accurate explanation of why night driving is a bad idea on Mexican roads. Depending on what time we actually crossed the border at Laredo (morning by choice, afternoon by reason of delay at customs), we would stay over one night at Los Mochis, or one night at Hermosillo and one night in Mazatlan. Others probably have lots of recommendations for places to stay. We found Best Western had good security in Los Mochis and Mazatlan. Fiesta Americana in Hermosillo was great fun and parking very secure but maybe a little more $$$ than folks would want to pay.
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed May 30, 2012 7:38 am

manymoonsago:

Is there a town named Laredo on the Arizona-Mexico border?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed May 30, 2012 10:52 am

CheenaGringo wrote:manymoonsago:

Is there a town named Laredo on the Arizona-Mexico border?

Many moons ago there was

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:42 pm

I hauled a double axle 24' enclosed trailer load from Toronto to Chapala last November and crossed at Bridge 2 in Laredo. The Menage de Casa was certified by the Mexican Consulate in Toronto prior to departing (to the tune of $160!!). When we got to the border, we found out Aduana will not allow an individual to "self clear". You need some special form that only a broker can prepare (so we were told at each of the other crossings we tried). To make a long story short, we ended up evaluating the goods on our list at garage sale prices, paid the 16% and were on our way.

Drove non stop from NL to Chapala sticking to the Cuotas. The roads after dark were still loaded with lots of truck traffic so at no time did we not feel safe. The tolls are pretty steep though with the extra axles so next time I may take the free roads and just travel slower and during the day only.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:01 pm

Ezzie wrote:I hauled a double axle 24' enclosed trailer load from Toronto to Chapala last November ...
Drove non stop from NL to Chapala sticking to the Cuotas. .... The tolls are pretty steep though with the extra axles so next time I may take the free roads and just travel slower and during the day only.

Ewwwww, Ezzie, if you ever do that once, even by mistake, on even one stretch.... you will be back on the cuotas. It's like going back in time 30 years, being routed through the middle of towns... you'll pay more for hotels and way more for gas with the stop/start/stop/start.

Just bite the bullet on the extra axles. I've done it plenty of times.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by PoCo2012 Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:55 am

Very keen to hear more on this topic. We are moving down in early January pulling a dual axle 16' cargo trailer. We are planning on having our menaje"pre-cleared" by the Consulate in Calgary. Should we expect about double for tolls? ...more?
BTW Merry, we will be southsiders too. Thumbs up
PoCo2012
PoCo2012
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:20 am

PoCo2012:

If you go to:
http://aplicaciones4.sct.gob.mx/sibuac_internet/ControllerUI;jsessionid=rkCWQJQL3VJnY5wdc7jHVWgRlLtJ9hCGJ2nntwtNhwNmY1hvQf3q!-1463128220!-242882341?action=cmdEscogeRuta&eligeIdioma=si
You will be able to calculate tolls, Take note that they have an option under "Type of Vehicle" for auto plus trailer with 2 axles.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:10 pm

PoCo2012

I would suggest you not bother with the Consulate in Calgary since you will find that their certification of your Menage de Casa is not acceptable to Aduana unless you have a Customs Broker handle the importation paperwork. It is far more cost effective to just present the Menage de Casa yourself and declare nominal amounts for the dutiable goods and pay the 16%. Use garage sale prices for your valuations.

Only if you have high valued household items does it make sense to try and get a duty exemption and hire a broker. Aduana just want a bit of cash from you then your all good!!

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Typically there is no duty applied to goods on a Menaje de Casa. You're allowed to bring in your household good when you move to Mexico. We were not charged a single Peso.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:06 pm

David wrote:Typically there is no duty applied to goods on a Menaje de Casa. You're allowed to bring in your household good when you move to Mexico. We were not charged a single Peso.

Sorry David but this is slightly misleading. It is what I thought too but Aduana at NL would not let me into the country with my "Menage de Casa" (that I took the time to get certified at the Mexican Consulate in Toronto). In order to be allowed entry in the country - they insisted I MUST have a Broker do the clearance (some special form required that only Brokers can fill out for you). They will not allow an individual to clear their own Menage de Casa. I tried both Bridge 2 and the Columbia crossing and was rejected at both and sent back to the USof A. Since it was on a weekend, no "Brokers" were available and I did not want to wait until Monday.

I simply took my Menage de Casa, listed the prices I thought the stuff might sell for at a garage sale, added it up and paid the 16% and was allowed into Mexico with my trailer load and we were on our way. No problemo. Note that items such as clothing, shoes (personal goods) are duty exempt, but your household furnishings are dutiable if you do it this way. In my case, I declared a total value of a little over $1K US and paid 1700 ps. duty. This was far less expensive than hiring a broker at the border. That is when I finally understood that it's all about the money. Aduana just wants a little cash from you and then everybody is all smiles!!

Getting a "Menage de Casa" certified by your Consulate back home before you leave is a total waste of time and money UNLESS you have high valued goods and intend to have a Broker do the paperwork for you and assist you with the clearance at the border upon entry.

Last edited by Ezzie on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:11 pm

Perhaps NL has their own way. Nogales no problema.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Ezzie:

As so often comes up on various Mexico forums, people often make assumptions that because it happened to them one particular way at a certain border crossing, that would be the way it happens at all crossings. I cannot count the number of times we have crossed the border between New Mexico and Mexico and we have never pulled into the declare lane with our fully loaded mini van . Each time when we have been blessed with the "red light", all I said was: for our house in Chapwe never paid a dime. Is that a guarantee or endorsement that it would happen at any border crossing? Hell no!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:16 pm

Agreed. When it comes to Mexico there is no norm. That is why you can always find an adventure.

I just want to make sure that the original poster is aware of the fact that they should not assume that their Menage de Casa will be accepted by Aduana. I will be bringing another trailer load down this fall and will be better prepared this time.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by PoCo2012 Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:25 am

Yes, I do think our experience will depend on the person we face at the time. It's pretty much a crap shoot.
What we do hope to accomplish with having the Consulate peruse our documents is reassure us we are on the right "track" as far as the proper format. We don't expect it to be a "pass" when we get there, merely a confirmation we have what we may need if we get the dreaded red light. We do not expect to have to pay any kind of import fee as this is our one-time personal household goods shipment.
We are rather nervous about the whole process and want to do all we can up front to mitigate any disasters.
I want to be like the woman in that u-tube clip posted a year or so back where she whips out every document the guy asks for, even the stapler out of her sleeve at the end.

Thank you very much for your insight and sharing of your experiences. Thanks for the link CG that helps with our toll question.
PoCo2012
PoCo2012
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:00 am

PoCo2012 wrote:Very keen to hear more on this topic. We are moving down in early January pulling a dual axle 16' cargo trailer. We are planning on having our menaje"pre-cleared" by the Consulate in Calgary. Should we expect about double for tolls? ...more?

BTW Merry, we will be southsiders too. Thumbs up

OH WELCOME, Poco! I've been offline a bit more since moving into my new house. I've had an easier time than I expected adapting to the south side! Love, love, love it.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:06 am

Ezzie wrote:... It is far more cost effective to just present the Menage de Casa yourself and declare nominal amounts for the dutiable goods and pay the 16%. Use garage sale prices for your valuations.

Only if you have high valued household items does it make sense to try and get a duty exemption and hire a broker. Aduana just want a bit of cash from you then your all good!!

This is exactly what I did, the total tax was less than US$75.

I had a 2-axle horse trailer and while the tolls were a little steep, I can't say they were any higher than in the US.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by albertrv Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:00 pm

We crossed at Nogales with a 44' tri axle cargo trailer with no problems. The paperwork was done and the Mexican Consulate in Nogales AZ within a day. The only problem was translation stuff which required a back and forth thing for the day. Customs had no problem with the paperwork it just took a bit to talk them out of unloading the trailer to check things out. That was their way to ask for a bit of a Christmas bonus. We also imported 2 motorcycles and 2 cargo trailers at the same time. Customs checked the VIN numbers and off we were. Glad we did it at that time as we do not have to worry about vehicles and going imigrado down the road.
albertrv
albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.lagunachapala.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:23 pm

Remember the toll road cost get much higher depending on the number of axles
you have. Just a car or truck is $120USD from Lukeville Arizona to Guadalajara.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next