INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fresh Seafood

+16
simpsca
Rolly
David
Walter
hockables
Solovino
viajero
Parker
CheenaGringo
raqueteer
oncesubtle
Mainecoons
ferret
johninajijic
brigitte
hound dog
20 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Fresh Seafood Empty Fresh Seafood

Post by hound dog Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:29 pm

Just a reminder to folks living at Lakeside that the Pescaderia Pacifico headquartered at the Mercado del Mar in Zapopan at Avenida del Pial #8 continues to run its Ajijic branch at the La Huerta strip mall in West Ajijic and this is indeed a treasure for Lakeside with incomparably fresh fish and all sorts of fresh and frozen shellfish otherwise unavailable here. Since I live in close proximity to this fine fishmonger store, I see them cart in fresh fish daily to this seafood outlet from their headquarters at the Mercado del Mar - the seafood wholesale market for all of Jalisco. This is a fabulous asset for those of us living at Lakeside and there is nothing else like it in the area. I am given to understand that tomorrow they will have fresh mussels and Dawg will not miss that opportunity to have mussels in wine and garlic with bollillo tomorrow. This place is improving. Ain´t the hick town Dawg moved to in 2001.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Fresh Seafood Empty Re: Fresh Seafood

Post by brigitte Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:51 pm

Give me the town we had 10 years ago any day!

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:46 pm

brigitte wrote:Give me the town we had 10 years ago any day!

Only for it's quaintness and less traffic. But the Seafood store described above is incomparable and puts all other so called Seafood stores in Ajijic to shame. Not to mention how many more products Pancho from SL has supplierd us with.

All we need now is a closer Costco, Mega and Walmart Supercenter on the carrtera Chapala-Guad.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:39 am

A Mega, I would love to see. Love their stores.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Absolutely agree with the big thumbs up for this fish market. Way above all the rest locally. That is where we buy all our fish now.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:00 pm

well yes and no, it is a nice addition but so far, I have bought some scallops , tough and tasteless, frozen little shrimp, tasteless, good fesh red snapper and sea bass good fresh clams and mussels (live). They also have live oysters which I have not tried yet.
Good fresh and frozen tuna as well.

Last edited by brigitte on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:07 pm

As far as the large stores like Walmart and others, I would rather have to drive to them than have them in town.
Yes I missed the place from 10 years ago even if SL had rotten veggies and the restaurants claused at 8pm.
The fish market is nice to have but the tianguis has decent fresh fish too.
All the extra frozen stuff I can do without . I can take a trip to the beach and buy from fisherman what is fresh and that is ok with me.
There is nothing like fresh fish, I was reminded of that when I ordered a seafood cocktail in Tehuantepec, incredibely fresh oysters an sweet fresh shrimp, I even love the fresh octopus.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:30 pm

Interestingly, Pescadria Pacific in West Ajjic experiences its best sales day on Sundays when Tapatios flood the Lakeseside area and buy seafood there in droves. That´s when one can find live mussels or, in the vernacular, mejillón. So, tonight, time for that traditional French dish of Moules Marinierers. Damn Dawg is lucky he didn´t marry Janie Sue Bogan from Fot Deposit in which case he would be feasting on cornpone and fried chicken tonight. Dawg escaped by the skin of his balls. What was important in 1969 ain´t what´s important today.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:00 pm

brigitte wrote:As far as the large stores like Walmart and others, I would rather have to drive to them than have them in town.
Yes I missed the place from 10 years ago even if SL had rotten veggies and the restaurants claused at 8pm.
The fish market is nice to have but the tianguis has decent fresh fish too.
All the extra frozen stuff I can do without . I can take a trip to the beach and buy from fisherman what is fresh and that is ok with me.
There is nothing like fresh fish, I was reminded of that when I ordered a seafood cocktail in Tehuantepec, incredibely fresh oysters an sweet fresh shrimp, I even love the fresh octopus.

No one said that they wanted costco, Mega and Walmart Supercenter IN town. My post said the carretera Chapala-Guadalajara which is the road to GDL.

The tianguis has decent fresh fish too!!! NOT! Those guys get it at the Mercardo and cart it around from tianguis to tianguis from day to day. They don't know how to handle it like the new Pescaderia, who are well trained. Further, one little end out of the ice and you get food poisoning. My Mexican friend will not buy fish at the tianguis. Not safe enough for his family.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:08 pm

This place is a treasure and on my pilgrimage last week was delighted to find the freshest dorado (mahi-mahi) I've ever seen inland. Dorado in the round does not travel well and the five on display looked like they had just been plucked from the water. While they have the largest selection of frozen seafood lakeside the real bargain is in their fresh fish, thinks me.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:15 pm

hound dog wrote:Interestingly, Pescadria Pacific in West Ajjic experiences its best sales day on Sundays when Tapatios flood the Lakeseside area and buy seafood there in droves. That´s when one can find live mussels or, in the vernacular, mejillón. So, tonight, time for that traditional French dish of Moules Marinierers. Damn Dawg is lucky he didn´t marry Janie Sue Bogan from Fot Deposit in which case he would be feasting on cornpone and fried chicken tonight. Dawg escaped by the skin of his balls. What was important in 1969 ain´t what´s important today.

Oooooooh yeah baby. That is Señor raqs favorite dish of all time. Most unfortunately we have recently been subjected to seriously suboptimal frozen garbage from New Zealand or those farmed ones from Chile. In fact they were both so bad Sr. raq had to throw them out in my presence.

As for the rest of the market, he remains in Brigitte's camp of somewhat skeptical, but still willing to keep trying.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:31 pm

My Mexican friend will not buy fish at the tianguis. Not safe enough for his family.

Would that be the infamous MEXICAN Physical Therapist?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Well I worked on commercial fishing boats in Southern France in the summer and in December (not quite as pleasant then) and I am very picky when it comes to the freshness of fish, I know how to buy fish and I have bought fish at the tianguis every week for the last 10 years, never been sick from fresh fish bought there. I always buy whole fish as I want to know what I am buying.
Over the years I have seen fish in some Mercados an some stores I would not ever buy but I never had a problem at the tianguis.
Being French I probably have a stronger constitution that your Mexican therapist or may be he does not know what he is doing.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:59 pm

briggitte - Oh yeah, you're a foreigner here and know more about buying fish in Mexico than a Mexican whose been living here for 38 years. NOT!!!

You've been here 10 years. I doubt that too looking at your forum joining date.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:02 pm

oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:13 pm

John, John, John. Sheesh!

We got bad (old) fish from the guy at the Tiaquis last week for the first time. Decided to go to the fish market from here on out. I think the problem the Tianquis people are having is that sales are way down and they are trying to push old stuff.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:26 pm

johninajijic wrote:briggitte - Oh yeah, you're a foreigner here and know more about buying fish in Mexico than a Mexican whose been living here for 38 years. NOT!!!

Oooop's another gaffe by the no bars, tell everyone what you're doing guy. Prepare yourself. Brigitte will shortly be serving your sorry a$$ to you complete with bearnaise sauce, expertly prepared.

I just wouldn't want to be in your shoes right now. Hopefully she won't notice. Blackeye

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:54 pm

Well Johnnyboy:

In all of the years of reading your garbage postings on various forums, I can honestly say that I have never read such an ignorant and out of touch post such as your latest! First of all any idiot would have figured out that Brigitte is one and the same as Mrs Dawg. For you to question her longevity and experience in Mexico shows just how out of touch you really are. Kathy and I had the pleasure of meeting Brigitte for the very first time this summer in Santa Fe, NM where she was supporting the efforts of a Mexican artist from Chiapas. We had the further pleasure of meeting with both she and the Dawg at their wonderful home in Ajijic. Let me tell you - I doubt that anyone in the entire area exemplifies the melding of someone from NOB into the local culture to the degree they both have! Both of them could be a case study in just how foreigners can adapt to a foreign society. I personally spent a couple of days with Brigitte and I can tell you that I came away very impressed by this person who has a great understanding of her resident country.

When you choose to attack her, then you might just have to face me face to face! This is another time that being a pompous jerk and elitist has not worked!

Please take note that I didn't find it necessary to use any off color words to describe my indignation at your post!

By the way, this time you have really pizzed me off!

Last edited by CheenaGringo on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Oh Brigitte???? Where are you??? I can hardly wait for your response to John.

@John...as if the date of joining a board has anything to do with the length of time that one has lived in Mexico. You, yourself, have changed identities a number of times. Don't be so condescending!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:07 pm

[quote="raqueteer"]
johninajijic wrote:briggitte - Oh yeah, you're a foreigner here and know more about buying fish in Mexico than a Mexican whose been living here for 38 years. NOT!!!

Now, now, John. Brigitte is a newbie because Dawg admonished her for signing under my name so she, at my request, set up her own account . She knows more about seafoood than most no matter how long they have lived here. She, as best I can remember, arrived in Mexico in 2001 along with Dawg and three huge mastinos and grew up in France where they have the best seafood on the planet and she cut her teeth as an oyster farmer in Arcachon Bay where they grow some of the best oysters known to man. After spending her youthful summers oystering on the Atlantic Coast of France, she moved to the Alabama coast and married The Dawg. She, in those days, bought her oysters and shrimp and an endless variety of fresh fish off of the day boats on Mobile Bay before moving to San Francisco and enjoying succulent seafood from Seattle to San Diego. The day you can teach Brigitte anything about seafood will never dawn.

Excuse me, I must now go and partake of fresh mussels prepared French style that we just bought this afternoon at the Pescaderia Pacifico at La Huerta Plaza here in West Ajijic. If you decide to buy some seafood there also, be sure to take your ID so the guards will let you back into the "most wonderful and personally fulfilling gated community in North America" without demanding your fingerprints.

Dawg must concede that the Boston area has some fine seafood but it´s too damn cold along that coast and, anyway, you no longer live there.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:37 pm

John,
Believe your therapist , I am sure that being Mexican he knows everything about fresh fish please continue thinking the fish at the tianguis is rotten.

You do not have to believe I have live here for 10 years either, our path have never crossed , believe me: I like to mix with people who are intelligent, knowledgeable and open minded, I do not think you would qualify.
Noticed I did not say with people who have money or the right address, I have friends who come from all paths of life and from many different cultures and that is the way I live my life.
Happy in the ghetto.

Last edited by brigitte on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:55 pm

Mainecoon
To make sure you have fresh fish only buy the whole fish and have it prepared in front of you.
Only buy fish with bright red gills, flesh that bounces back when pressed down, fish with clear eyes. If the eyes are not clear as glass do not buy it.

Do not buy thawed out fish, Sometimes it is tempting to get whatever for a recipe but nothing will ever be as good as a really fresh fish. Smell it if it smells like the sea buy it if it smells like fish don t.

I do not care if you buy at the store or at the tianguis, there is fresh fish and there is old fish, pick your own until you can trust your fishmonger.
Tip him well when he prepares your fish, it is worth it.

Do not buy dead shellfish. If it is a crab touch its eye, if it does not retract leave it. DO not by dead anything, I cannot believe how many dead things are sold here. Who knows how long the stuff has been dead.

Got some live mussels today and they were good. Not as good as the tiny cold water wild mussels from the Atlantic but way better than anything frozen, cleaned them in salted water and had a fine meal for 90 pesos.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:49 pm

John, do you spend the majority of your life “out to lunch”? Brigitte is the “Dawgs” wife. It’s been this way on this board and TOB to my knowledge at least 6 years and probably longer to others. Now I’m beginning to understand your outbursts, you just don’t remember previous conversations, no harm until you hurt others with your words. Try being kind and no one would notice, hope this helps.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:19 pm

brigitte wrote:Mainecoon
To make sure you have fresh fish only buy the whole fish and have it prepared in front of you.
Only buy fish with bright red gills, flesh that bounces back when pressed down, fish with clear eyes. If the eyes are not clear as glass do not buy it.

Do not buy thawed out fish, Sometimes it is tempting to get whatever for a recipe but nothing will ever be as good as a really fresh fish. Smell it if it smells like the sea buy it if it smells like fish don t.

I do not care if you buy at the store or at the tianguis, there is fresh fish and there is old fish, pick your own until you can trust your fishmonger.
Tip him well when he prepares your fish, it is worth it.

Do not buy dead shellfish. If it is a crab touch its eye, if it does not retract leave it. DO not by dead anything, I cannot believe how many dead things are sold here. Who knows how long the stuff has been dead.

Got some live mussels today and they were good. Not as good as the tiny cold water wild mussels from the Atlantic but way better than anything frozen, cleaned them in salted water and had a fine meal for 90 pesos.

Your suggestions for buying seafood for good taste are pretty fair but as far as health wise, seafood from the Atlantic Ocean are far more polluted than the Pacific. Times are changing, I can remember drinking water straight from the streams that ran past our property and today the few that are left you just wouldn’t do that.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:35 am

Thanks for the good info Mrs. Dawg, Brigette. We thought we could trust the fishmonger, we've been buying exclusively from him for several years now.

John, after that gaffe I'd be too embarrased to show my face around here. LOL
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next