INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone had this happen with Delta Airlines?

+6
RichD
CanuckBob
sm1mex
dcampbell757
David
Clueless
10 posters

Go down

Has anyone had this happen with Delta Airlines? Empty Has anyone had this happen with Delta Airlines?

Post by Clueless Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:47 am

I had my S.I.L. purchase a one way ticket for me from GDL to LAX. It was purchased on Delta's website from a computer in the U.S.

It connected to the Delta website, probably in the U.S.

Price on the website was in US$

I paid with my U.S. Visa card in U.S. Dollars.

When I received my Visa Statement, there was a Foreign Transaction Fee (F.T.F.) that Delta (not my bank) had added.

I read Delta's International Contract of Carriage and there is nothing relating to a F.T.F other than having to do with refunds.

I found that Delta charges a F.T.F. on any flights originating in Mexico and paid in any currency other than pesos.

There is no way on the Delta website to pay in Pesos.

Thanks.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Has anyone had this happen with Delta Airlines? Empty Re: Has anyone had this happen with Delta Airlines?

Post by David Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Airline have created many hidden fees. That's why I use Expedia.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Has anyone had this happen with Delta Airlines? Empty Credit Card fees

Post by dcampbell757 Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:50 pm

Use Delta a couple of times a year, make reservations online, use Mexican address and Mexican CC, never a transaction fee.

dcampbell757
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Has anyone had this happen with Delta Airlines? Empty Re: Has anyone had this happen with Delta Airlines?

Post by sm1mex Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Yes we made Delta reservations on Delta web site with U.S. credit card in U.S. dollars while in Mexico, and we got a FTF. We called and they said despite the fact the price was in U.S. dollars, since the reservations were made from Mexico, the Credit Card put on a FTF. We don't use that card any more for airline tickets. We use a card that does not charge FTF, when out of the U.S.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:56 pm

Does this fee show up as a separate line item on your credit card bill? I book tickets directly with US airlines all the time with my Canadian CC and never noticed any extra fee.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:04 pm

Yes it showed up separately as foreign transaction fee, and it was added to the ticket price. I think it was about 3-4 % of the price of the ticket. It can mount up.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:06 pm

My charges showed up as separate items on my CC and the bank says it can't reverse it.

In checking more, I found there is a recent, maybe 2014, federal rule that says the full fee must be shown to the booking party at the onset, not added later (like at checkout).

I believe this is something that should be shown up-front or at lease in their International Contract of Carriage, which it is not.

I'm going to try to get some definitive information from Delta and sniff around for more stories and/or updates on this.

So far, it also looks as if only Delta does this, but I haven't gone into it in depth. I'm going to check more.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:08 pm

When we called Delta and told them we used Delta U.S. web site, U.S. dollars and U.S. credit card, the same answer was, you were in Mexico and made the purchase from Mexico so you get the FTF. Just bend over !
Since we got stung that time, we use a card that does not charge a FTF for airline tickets made from Mexico.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:22 pm

So one needs to use an IP masker as a work around then.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:04 pm

CanuckBob wrote:So one needs to use an IP masker as a work around then.

Couldn't live here without:  https://www.hidemyass.com/
RichD
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:23 pm

From everything I'm finding, it isn't where you are physically at the computer but where the flight originates.

In my case, the flight originates in Mx. and that is why Delta (not the bank) charged the FTF.

I'm going to push it and see what happens.

I'll bet there are some serious numbers in favor of the airline when they do this.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:09 am

I guess it could be from where the flight originates from but that doesn't make any sense. The FTF it to convert 1 type of payment to another type of currency payment. If you charge with a U.S. card, to be paid in dollars with a U.S. bank, where is the converison in currency?

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:13 am

How many thousands of dollars are we talking about here? Did the fees exceed the ticket price?
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:53 am

When I bought a delta airline ticket from Chapala on the Delta website in October the charge went through Mexico City.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:50 am

Depends on the price of the ticket. 1200 dollar ticket, the FTF could be 36-48 dollars. Tickets can be expensive flying over seas.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by funinthesun Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:52 am

Last month I bought a ticket on Delta from my computer in Ajijic. It was a 1 way ticket from Guadalajara to Albany, NY.  I used a credit card with no international transaction fee and none was added to the cost of the ticket.  I do not hide my IPN.

funinthesun

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:46 pm

There are some cards that do not charge the FTF fee.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Telso Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:11 pm

There are some cards that do not charge the FTF fee.

Clueless is saying Delta charged the FTF not the credit card company..

A couple of weeks ago I booked Delta from Guadjalara to Toronto via Atlanta using a Canadian credit card and was not charged a FTF by Delta.. And I don't hide my IP address.

I think someone is a little confused ...

Telso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down