INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eating the fish you catch on lake Chapala?

+4
slainte39
CanuckBob
Lady Otter Latté
Sockeye
8 posters

Go down

Eating the fish you catch on lake Chapala? Empty Eating the fish you catch on lake Chapala?

Post by Sockeye Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:53 am

Hi, we are visitors and my partner is an avid shore fisherman and we also love to eat fish. He caught a tilapia the other day but didn't keep it as we are concerned about contamination levels.  We read a pretty scary article about a child in 2008 in a city with a river that feeds into this lake who died of arsenic poisoning after a dip in the river to retrieve a soccer ball so that has certainly given us pause. At the same time I hear people saying the lake has been substantially cleaned up since then.
I see some of you mention eating the fish so I am wondering how often you think that is safe and where you get your information from about the recent levels  and types of contamination.  
Thanks for your help.

Sockeye

Back to top Go down

Eating the fish you catch on lake Chapala? Empty Re: Eating the fish you catch on lake Chapala?

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:02 am

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2014/10/the-mystery-of-the-lake/
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Eating the fish you catch on lake Chapala? Empty Re: Eating the fish you catch on lake Chapala?

Post by CanuckBob Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:26 am

That article explains everything. I have eaten Tilapia from the lake and I know of others who have as well. We fish the shores here regularly. Problem is catching Tilapia big enough for the fry pan. I always get the small ones.......

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:36 am

Been eating locally caught fish from the lake for 35 to 40 years and it hasn't brought me down yet.   Used to be pescado blanco, then mojarra, and now mostly tilapia and carpa.
Fishing and fishermen is what sustained the lively hoods of these villages for years, and still does for some people.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:47 pm

I'll eat the tilapia from the lake but not the farm-raised tilapia imported from China.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:23 pm

I've eaten tilapia and carp from the lake but wouldn't touch the catfish.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Cincy Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:21 pm

I caught about 20 tilapia this morning from the lake. A few of them could have been cleaned for the table but like CanuckBob say, they are generally small.

There's a few guys around Ajijic that sell fresh caught lake fish from wheelbarrows some mornings. The fish are so fresh they're still flipping about in the barrow! They all appear to be carp or tilapia and the locals seem to love them! There's a fish store on Calle Colon, just a few yards south of the caretera where you can purchase the local catch.

I've eaten the tilapia. The carp supposedly have slightly elevated levels of mercury due to their feeding habits so I would be cautious about eating too much - just like eating walleye from Lake Erie.

Cincy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Monty Python...

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:16 pm

That article that you read was about the Santiago River that drains FROM Lake Chapala. The contaminants in the river where the boy fell in are from plants in El Salto.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sockeye Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:46 am

Thanks very much everyone that was very helpful!

Sockeye

Back to top Go down

Eating the fish you catch on lake Chapala? Empty Fishing license?

Post by Sockeye Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:03 pm

Oh, I forgot to ask, I see people talking about fresh water fishing licenses.  We didn't think he needed one for shore fishing in lake Chapala, were we wrong?

Sockeye

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:03 pm

You do not need a license (fresh or salt) if you are fishing from shore. A license is only required when fishing from a boat. That goes for anywhere in Mexico.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sockeye Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:36 pm

Whew! Thanks CanuckBob.

Sockeye

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:01 pm

We fish off the lower wall on the Ajijic malecon. Usually go once or twice a week around 8:00am.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sockeye Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:06 pm

国の Thumbs up

Sockeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down