INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Selling U.S. plated automobile

+3
David
RVGRINGO
bonjon42
7 posters

Go down

Selling U.S. plated automobile Empty Selling U.S. plated automobile

Post by bonjon42 Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Besides the obvious fact that you have to take a U.S. plated car back to the States to sell it; does anyone have any more knowledge to impart?
Has anyone on this Board done this and what was your experience? Any tips and/or suggestions?
Also, our car permit is going to be on a different expiration time frame than our tourist visa because we're flying back to the States for a couple of weeks. Will this present a problem?
bonjon42
bonjon42

Back to top Go down

Selling U.S. plated automobile Empty Re: Selling U.S. plated automobile

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:23 pm

If you have tourist permits, you are not allowed to leave your car in Mexico while you fly out of the country. It invalidates your Importada Temporal and renders your car illegal in Mexico, as well as its insurance.
Not a good idea, in spite of the fact that some do it and don‘t have an accident or get trapped in other ways. Best to drive the car out on your trip to avoid that danger and the loss of your deposit.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:03 pm

Contact Playaboy on this board and TOB, he will buy your car and take it out of the country.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Playaboy has moved to Playa del Carmen. I don't think he is doing this anymore.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:00 pm

Someone called Tony in Mexico, from Chapala, was just inquiring on TOB for a ride north and offered to share driving.
Perhaps you could make some arrangements......

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Explorador Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:20 pm

If you have tourist permits, you are not allowed to leave your car in Mexico while you fly out of the country. It invalidates your Importada Temporal and renders your car illegal in Mexico, as well as its insurance.

I believe that to be the case also.

Other than that, I can add that I bought I US plated car...

I paid Spencer to obtain the Safe Return (Retorno Seguro). It only good for a five business days (or so). I got a 10-day Tourist Policy from Lewis and Lewis (or Mexico Bob, etc. would work). I bought insurance in the USA from Progressive. (They only need the VIN, not registration info.) I had the currently registered owner obtain a 30-day "Seller's Permit". (It was South Dakota, so it was easy and they emailed it to me.) I was driving into Arizona so I could have also gotten a 3-day permit from them for $1, online. I had the owner sign a Bill Of Sale, etc. I never needed it. Of course, most importantly, he signed over the Title. Again, it was SD so it didn't have to be notarized. (I had checked for leins and everything online.) I left his current plates on the car. (So as not to be hassled. Technically, they don't matter. I had the Safe Return.) I stopped at the booth on the way out and they removed the TIP. (They didn't care who I was.) It was a lot of paperwork to get all "lawyered up" but it was all legal and safe. Once I got to Arizona they registered the car no problem.

The letter of the law prevents the owner from selling it. But the result is that it invalidates the TIP. I had that covered with the Safe Return. Imagine he was too sick or old to drive it out. He would have to hire someone. That's what the Safe Return is for. I just happened to give him money to transfer the Title to me.

The Lewis and Lewis style Tourist Policy must be in the name of someone with US Citizenship. Otherwise you'd have to find another solution. I think technically, his Tourist Policy would have covered me. (It covers the driver of the car with that VIN. I don't see how they would care if the registration was in transition.) I didn't like his liability limits so got my own.

What issue are you (the OP) worried about?

Explorador

Back to top Go down

Post by windrider17 Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Talked with Playaboy yesterday and he is still in the business.

windrider17
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Warped

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:12 pm

Good to know. Thanks.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Selling U.S. plated automobile Empty I am still doing my car thing.

Post by Playaboy Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:06 pm

bonjon42 wrote:Besides the obvious fact that you have to take a U.S. plated car back to the States to sell it; does anyone have any more knowledge to impart?
Has anyone on this Board done this and what was your experience? Any tips and/or suggestions?
Also, our car permit is going to be on a different expiration time frame than our tourist visa because we're flying back to the States for a couple of weeks. Will this present a problem?

I am still around.  Just took a car from Puerto Vallarta last week to the USA.  Some folks I can help and others I can't.  Maybe I can help you.  Send me a PM and we can talk.

FYI, I am banned on TOB, so contact me here or at cornking1 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bonjon42 Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:38 pm

Thank you everyone for this very valuable information! We had always planned on selling the van (it's too big for down here) and it would have been horrible for it to go "illegal". We're going to drive it to friends in Texas before we fly to the States in October.
bonjon42
bonjon42

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down