INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suspicions confirmed. HP screws ink cartridge users in Mexico.

+5
Axixic
viajero
arbon
Zedinmexico
Clueless
9 posters

Go down

Suspicions confirmed. HP screws ink cartridge users in Mexico. Empty Suspicions confirmed. HP screws ink cartridge users in Mexico.

Post by Clueless Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:47 am

If you have a bought in Mexico HP Deskjet 2030 or 3050 and you buy an HP #122 cartridge (black) for it, that cartridge contains 2ml of ink.

If you bought an HP Deskjet printer 2030 or 2050 NOB, it uses an HP #21 cartridge that contains 3.5ml of ink.

If you try to use a #21 HP cartridge in your Mexico printer, it won't be accepted.

The price of the #122 cartridge in Mexico is 40 to 70% higher than NOB.

Source: HP USA website at http://www.hp.com/pageyield/en-019/yields/DJ2050J510_310_page.html?cCode=us

FYI: On the average, black ink in a printer cartridge costs over US$2,500 per gallon.

And lastly, if you contact HP and push the issue, they will tell you how to configure your Mexican HP printer to use NOB cartridges.

Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Suspicions confirmed. HP screws ink cartridge users in Mexico. Empty Re: Suspicions confirmed. HP screws ink cartridge users in Mexico.

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:55 pm

Standard marketing for different markets.  You sound like a lawyer to me LOL.

Without a study of the cost of the printers your numbers are incomplete.

Cheap ink expensive printer.
Cheap printer expensive ink.
If you think that you are paying full cost for that $100 All in one you are dreaming. So you pay a huge amount for ink.

Don't forget to take the IVA tax off the Mexican printer price to compare to US price.

Now you bring up some interesting points but to really understand the true costs in the printer market you need more data.  I know more about this business as I was an insider.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Suspicions confirmed. HP screws ink cartridge users in Mexico. Empty Re: Suspicions confirmed. HP screws ink cartridge users in Mexico.

Post by arbon Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:09 pm

¿What was the retail prices of the ink cartridges?
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:11 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:  You sound like a lawyer to me LOL.
He used to be one.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:37 pm

Two types of ink and printheads.  On the cheap printers you put the printhead and ink in one little box. On more expensive office machines you have four separate ink boxes with separate printheads. You buy ink separately from the printheads. On a cheap printer you throw away the printhead every time you put in  a new cartridge.  I use office machines they work better and have low costs but I print out manuals which are long. I can put four pages on one page front and back. If you just print 10 pages a week mostly black you don't care how much the ink cartridges are as  cheap printers favor low quantity users. Print a lot and you can save money with a more expensive off axis ink and printhead type office printers. You pay one way or another or they would stop selling them. Its a dying business as young people don't print out much anyhoo.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:13 pm

I purchased a Mexican  Epson L355 which has the separate ink tanks to avoid all the hassles of cartridges. Initial outlay for the printer was higher (I forget now, but I think it was about MX$3600) but the long term savings on ink is worth it and I don't print a ton.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Traveller Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:18 pm

Yes, Ajijic, it's worth it. After years of fuming about overpriced ink cartridges containing approximately a half-teaspoon of ink, we were happy to shell out MX$2600 for a HP8610 with separate ink tanks included, set up and filled at one of the kiosks in Plaza de la Tecnologia. The same kiosk sells Brothers with slightly more convenient refill tanks but my husband prefers HP. Finally, a way to beat the smartypants manufacturers who practically give away the printers but totally screw you over on the ink.
Traveller
Traveller
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:15 pm

So what's new about that?

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:00 pm

arbon wrote:¿What was the retail prices of the ink cartridges?

Too much....

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:44 pm

Does Costco here have refill service ?
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:27 pm

borderreiver wrote:Does Costco here have refill service ?
Yes... They will sell you a package of 5 new cartridges. Beer Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:03 am

I finally opted for a Brother DCP-L25400W (no color) since I almost never have a use/need for color.

This printer does it all and I can refill the toner drum myself for very little money.

Most printers today seem like they follow the model of the old Polaroid instant camera where it cost about US$0.50 for each print. The camera was somewhat cheap but the film, as I said, had you paying for each print no matter how it came out.

Time marches on.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:20 am

Consumers choose to pay the Polaroid price model.  As myself and others have shown off axis color printers offer a very good price per page. Consumers like the cheap printer even if it has an obscene price per page number. Sometimes so called consumers don't do enough research. In five years you won't have a printer but you will have a 3d printer that can do everything including making spare parts for itself. Only hope for the printer market is something like 3d to rescue it. So how does a broken printer fix itself? It doesn't but it might be able to predict that it will break and react accordingly to its programming. 

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:54 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
arbon wrote:¿What was the retail prices of the ink cartridges?

Too much....

This Op is priceless!
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down