INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Travel from Mexico for Fisherman and Terrorists LOL

+4
Zedinmexico
Gamina
Lady Otter Latté
Jim W
8 posters

Go down

Travel from Mexico  for Fisherman and Terrorists  LOL Empty Travel from Mexico for Fisherman and Terrorists LOL

Post by Jim W Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:05 pm

New Security measures @ GDL airport. Mexico security refused to allow me to carry my reels and fishing line on the plane and wanted to confiscate 6 spools of expensive fishing line as carry on. They claimed it could be used as a weapon. Me being me refused to accept without discussion. I asked why they aren't checking contents of all passengers pockets, as nylon line can't be detected, and 2 yards of braided line....or less is all that is needed to accomplish one persons mission.

Obviously, I wasn't going to win this one, so rather than lose $100.00 US in fishing line, ran back to US AIR asking for my bag........so I could put all in my 30 pound bag that was checked. They refused, however, agreed to allow my 2nd bag @ N/C. Also you can bring your filet knife.....mine is 6 inches......in checked luggage.

Rules seem to be changing daily, so if you are traveling with fishing gear, pack your fishing line with checked luggage, including reels.

Just an FYI as this rule isn't posted anywhere advising same.

Travel from Mexico  for Fisherman and Terrorists  LOL 968748
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Travel from Mexico  for Fisherman and Terrorists  LOL Empty Re: Travel from Mexico for Fisherman and Terrorists LOL

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:53 pm

Even though I do not expect to ever travel with spools of fishing line, it is good for us all to remember that not all rules are posted and rules change daily. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Travel from Mexico  for Fisherman and Terrorists  LOL Empty Re: Travel from Mexico for Fisherman and Terrorists LOL

Post by Gamina Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:51 am

I would be nervous with my expensive reels in my checked baggage. I think I would pop my spool out to carry in my checked baggage and carry the reel in my carry on. Course, this only works with spinning reels.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:06 am

Using this argument the government should ban shoe laces.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by otrocanuck Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:23 pm

I recently had to give up a brand new Dewalt 20 volt cordless drill at the Victoria airport. It did not have batteries with it - so technically it was not a power tool - but they made me leave it with them at security - the batteries and charger were in my checked luggage so no problem there. - My fault I should have been less concerned about my weight limit on the checked bag and read the fine print as to what is allowed as carry on.
I wondered after that why Fedex or UPS does not have self serve kiosks at or close by security in the airports. If so I could have easily shipped it that way to myself or a friend.
otrocanuck
otrocanuck
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Mississauga, Point Claire, Edmonton, Saltspring Isl., Nakusp,Chapala,

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:05 pm

otrocanuck wrote:I recently had to give up a brand new Dewalt 20 volt cordless drill at the Victoria airport. It did not have batteries with it - so technically it was not a power tool - but they made me leave it with them at security - the batteries and charger were in my checked luggage so no problem there. - My fault I should have been less concerned about my weight limit on the checked bag and read the fine print as to what is allowed as carry on.
I wondered after that why Fedex or UPS does not have self serve kiosks at or close by security in the airports. If so I could have easily shipped it that way to myself or a friend.

otrocanuck,   A friend of mine that works for US AIR told me, Security on flights into the USA from all foreign countries  have heightened security due to recent ISIS threats.   They are charging an additional $100 USD for as little as 3 pounds over weight, at the counter. Travel from Mexico  for Fisherman and Terrorists  LOL 477249
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:09 pm

The whole world has gotten paranoid.

One day, they won't let people on because they could storm the cockpit

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:55 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:Using this argument the government should ban shoe laces.
I always wear velcro fastened sneakers when I fly.
Easier to get off on on. Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:00 pm

zenwoodle wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:Using this argument the government should ban shoe laces.
I always wear velcro fastened sneakers when I fly.
Easier to get off on on. Beer

Zen, what about your belt?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:39 am

I'll sleep easier now that Jim W's "cunning" diabolical Fishing Line plot was foiled. Thanks Homeland Security. I'll feel so much safer now knowing he is on their radar.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:20 pm

borderreiver wrote:I'll sleep easier now that Jim W's "cunning" diabolical Fishing Line plot was foiled. Thanks Homeland Security. I'll feel so much safer now knowing he is on their radar.

You crack me up borderreiver! When are you heading back to Lakeside? Would love to hook up for a fishing trip!
Deb and I are planning a return to Lakeside in Feb. Regarding fishing line issue.....totally pissed me off....I pointed to my tennis shoes, and was surprised she didn't confiscate my laces.......TFF.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down